One of my husband’s favorite things on the local Chinese take-out menu is the fried chicken wings, while it doesn’t mention it in the description, they come with a curry coating which is delicious. You can ask the chef to prepare them plain as we do for our daughter from time to time, but fried with the curry, they are unexpected and amazing. My husband likes to cover them with Chinese garlic chili sauce for an added kick. I like them “as is” with a squeeze of fresh lime.
When developing the recipe to make this dish at home, we baked our wings instead of frying. I don’t like to fry food and I think most people fall into this same category. With this simple recipe, you’ll be having baked curry chicken wings whenever the mood strikes.Print
These crispy baked wings have a curry coating, just like my local chinese take out.
- 4 pounds chicken wings, cut into 2 pieces at the joints
- 2 tablespoons Madras curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (more or less, to taste)
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- Chinese garlic chili sauce, optional for dipping
- Lime wedges, squeezed over the top for garnish
- Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions.
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Line a baking pan with foil, then place a rack (like a cooling rack ) on the foil. Spray the rack with cooking oil spray. This makes for quick clean up.
- Place wings in a large bowl or in a zip top bag. Add the baking powder, madras curry powder, salt, and pepper, then toss to coat evenly. I find a zip top is easiest for this with less mess.
- Place the wings on the baking tray in a single layer with the skin side up. They will fit snugly.
- Place wings on the lower middle oven rack and bake for 30 minutes.
- Move wings up to the upper middle rack and increase the oven temperature to 425°F.
- Bake for 40 – 50 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through.
- Remove baking pan from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve with Chinese garlic chili sauce and lime wedges.
Baking powder is NOT interchangeable with baking soda, make sure you don’t grab the wrong one.
Keywords: chinese, curry, wings, asian