This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Disclosure Policy .
I’d never heard of Brown Sugar Brownies, AKA Chewies, until I moved to Charleston, SC in 2007. I was invited by the girls at my work to participate in a cookie exchange around the winter holidays. I can’t even remember now what I brought to the exchange but I do remember the Chewies. Luckily, the lady that brought the Chewies also provided us with the recipe. (Oh Yeah!)
Toasted Pecans vs Toasted Sesame Seeds
After later trying Benne Wafers, I knew I wanted to turn my Brown Sugar Brownies, which are traditionally made with toasted pecans, into a real Charleston treat by using toasted Sesame Seeds (benne) instead. I brought the chewies to my coworkers and they couldn’t get over the flavor change, how closely they tasted to the benne wafers — and how delicious they were. I was pretty pleased with the results.
Check out my other Blondie Recipes:
Charleston Chewies are a chewy brown sugar brownie type bar cookie. Traditionally made with pecans, these bars taste like a benne wafer from the addition of sesame seeds instead of pecans.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil an 8-inch square pan with vegetable oil and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and add the sesame seeds. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until light brown. Remove from the heat and add the brown sugar and stir until smooth.
- Next, stir in the egg. Stir together the flour and baking powder and stir into the brown sugar mixture.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes. Remove and allow the pan to cool on a baking rack.
- When cool, remove the brownies from the pan and lightly dust the top with confectioners’ (powdered) sugar.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: brown sugar brownie, charleston, chewies