As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Disclosure Policy .
Red Rice and Sausage is a staple in the Southern United States, especially in the coastal areas of Charleston, SC, and Savannah, Ga. This span of low-lying coastal area is also known as the Lowcountry.
Here in Charleston, red rice and sausage is a way of life. It’s eaten with many different types of meals, but especially seafood. It’s relatively easy to make but so flavorful.
We start first by cooking 4 strips of bacon and setting them aside. To the bacon oil, add the aromatics and begin to saute the vegetables.
Next, add in the diced smoked sausage.
Then add the diced tomatoes and the tomato paste and stir to combine.
The base is finished. Looks great! It already tastes great, too.
Next, fold in your steamed rice. Adjust your seasonings of salt and pepper. Then top with crumbled bacon and sliced green onions.
Serve and enjoy!
I was cooking this when my husband arrived home from the Fire Station in the morning, he ate a small portion when he got home for breakfast and another for lunch.
Like I said earlier – Charleston Red Rice is a way of life around these parts.
Looking for some more Lowcountry favorites? Check these out:
- Fried Green Tomato BLT
- Wadmalaw Delight
Red Rice and Sausage is a staple in the Southern United States, especially in the coastal areas of Charleston, SC, and Savannah, Ga. This span of low-lying coastal area is also known as the Lowcountry. Here in Charleston, red rice and sausage is a way of life. It’s eaten with many different types of meals, but especially seafood. It’s relatively easy to make but so flavorful.
- 4 slices of bacon
- 3 ribs of celery, diced
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 12 ounces Andouille or smoked sausage, diced
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 ounces (1/2 can) tomato paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 green onion (scallion), sliced diagonally (optional)
- Bring water to a boil and cook rice according to package directions. For the Instant Pot , [See Note 1].
- In a 12-inch skillet, cook the bacon, then drain and set aside, reserving the oil.
- Drain some of the bacon oil leaving 1 tablespoon in the bottom of the pan to cook the aromatic vegetables until softened, about 3-5 minutes. If you prefer not to cook with bacon fat, remove the oil from the pan and wipe clean with a paper towel and add 1 tablespoon of your preferred cooking oil.
- When the vegetables have softened, add the andouille or smoked sausage and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add the diced tomatoes and tomato paste and stir to combine.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper being mindful that the bacon can be quite salty.
- Add the cooked rice and stir to incorporate. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon.
- Garnish with sliced green onions, optional.
- I cooked my rice in the Instant Pot which is 1 cup white rice to 1 1/4 cups water on the rice setting. I then let the rice slowly depressurize for 10 minutes (L0:10).
- Category: Main meal, entree, dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Southern
Keywords: charleston, red rice, lowcountry
Follow along on Social Media
This post was last updated on