These cherry hand pies are amazing. Frozen empanada pie dough rounds make these handheld Cherry hand pies quick and easy to prepare. If you’re not a fan of cherry pie filling, you can always use another fruit — or make your own.
The results will be as equally as amazing. I’m usually an advocate of using the store brand when you can to save some money since store brands are usually packaged by one of the leading national brands but in this case, I feel the name brand pie filling works better. The store brand filling I opened tasted the same but honestly had far fewer cherries and twice the amount of “sauce” of the leading national brand.
If you prefer, you can make your own cherry filling. Fresh cherries are quite reasonably priced in season during the summer but note they will need to be pitted prior to use. You don’t need a special Cherry Pitter for this task but I will admit that I do have one and it makes quick work of it pitting up to 6 cherries at a time.
That being said, I have to say these simple cherry hand pies have been my favorite dessert over the winter.
Today I’m using frozen Goya empanada wrappers for my pie crust but you could make your own pie dough or even use puff pastry. If you’re like me and are always on a time crunch and can’t make your own pie crust, these empanada wrappers or frozen puff pastry make a great stand-in.
The empanada wrappers are not as sweet as a traditional pie crust but drizzle a little glaze or some finishing sugar and they are perfect. Not too sweet not too savory. Mmmmmm. Pie.
Cherry Hand Pies
- 1 Pkg Frozen Empanada Dough Rounds , thawed
- 21 ounces Cherry Pie Filling
- 1 egg , beaten
- demerara sugar , for dusting tops of pastry (optional)
- Heat oven to 425°F. Divide dough in half.
- Top each dough round with 1 tablespoons pie filling onto center of each round.Fold the dough over in half. Press edges firmly together and seal with a fork. Cut 3 small slits in the tops of each pie to release steam while cooking.
- Brush each pie with egg wash and dust with demerara sugar for a bakery-style finish.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes. Serve warm or cool.
- To reheat, place in a preheated oven and heat until crisp and warm.