This summer has been brutal and the heat was absolutely unrelenting in our part of the country so we found ourselves quite often looking to the grill or our crock pot to avoid heating up the entire house cooking our meals.
I found this recipe on Epicurious.com and decided we should give it a try. This chicken came out very moist and juicy and had a great coloration especially for a crock pot chicken.
I varied from the original recipe somewhat and then also added sliced onions and this addition really made the dish come alive for us. Served here atop mashed potatoes, we could hardly believe this beautiful dish came from our crock pot! Enjoy.
Love your Crock Pot? Check out these other Crock pot recipes:
- Crock Pot Ribs with Strawberry-Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
- Homemade Condensed Cream Soup Mix
- Crock Pot Cuban Picadillo
- Crock Pot Beef Bourguignon
- Crock Pot Barbecue Chicken
Crock Pot Balsamic Chicken is moist and juicy and has a great coloration especially for a crock pot chicken.
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 oz (1/2 cup) balsamic vinegar
- 8 boneless, or boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- fresh chopped parsley (optional garnish)
- Combine the first four dry spices in a small bowl and spread over chicken on both sides. Set aside.
- Pour olive oil and garlic on the bottom of the crock pot add sliced onions. Place chicken on top of the onions. Pour balsamic vinegar over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low about 6 – 8 hours depending on the size and heat of your particular slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley on top just before serving to garnish.
Boneless chicken breasts can be used in this recipe but they can tend to be on the drier side. For this reason, we recommend chicken thighs.
- Serving Size: 1 thigh
- Calories: 195
- Sugar: 1.4 g
- Sodium: 223 mg
- Fat: 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.6 g
- Fiber: 0.7 g
- Protein: 25.1 g
- Cholesterol: 76 mg