Oven Chicken Cordon Bleu
UPDATE: This recipe was featured in the April/May 2015 edition of Taste of Home Magazine (page 32)! How exciting is that!
Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu
Yield 6 servings
Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu chicken breasts are layered into a baking dish, topped with ham, cheese and bread crumbs then baked to a golden brown,
- For the chicken
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 slices deli ham
- 3 slices aged Swiss cheese, halved
- 1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- Cooking spray
- For the Sauce
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup finely shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°. Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper; arrange in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Top each with 1 slice ham and 1/2 slice cheese, folding ham in half and covering chicken as much as possible. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Carefully spritz bread crumbs with cooking spray, keeping crumbs in place. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan, whisk flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce to medium heat. Stir in wine and cheese; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is thickened and bubbly. Stir in salt and pepper. Keep warm over low heat until ready to serve. Serve with chicken.
For Freezing: Once cooked, these can be individually frozen for quick lunches or weeknight meals. When reheating in the microwave, times will vary depending on each individual microwave wattage. I would recommend to reheat in the microwave on half power for about 5 minutes and then check to see how it's progressing. Add another 3 to 5 minutes until it is just heated through. I froze my portions sitting on top of a bit of the sauce for a one dish meal.
Serving Size 4 oz with 3 tbsp sauce
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 89 mg
Sodium 1066 mg
Total Carbohydrates 12 g
Sugars 2.4 g
Protein 33 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.