Dive into the summer grilling season with these Lemon-Herb Chicken and Potato Foil Packets that grill up quick and easy without a lot of clean-up afterward. Even if you don’t have a grill, these can still be prepared on a camping stove, over an open fire, or in a conventional oven.
As a kid, we had family gatherings every Sunday. I was always happy when we arrived and my Uncle was preparing Chicken and Potato Foil Packets on the grill. I just always really loved the mingling of flavors and the smoky flavor of the grilled potatoes that char through the foil. Those foil packets are still a fun summer go-to dish for my family.
Layers of potatoes and other veggies line the bottom of the foil packet with the chicken carefully perched on top. The great part about a meal like this is we can easily customize the packets for the individuals eating them. Virtually any of your favorite herbs and vegetables can be added to the packet. Picked fresh from the garden is always a family favorite at my house.
If you do not have a charcoal or gas grill, these can also be made over a camping stove, open fire pit with cooking grate (I’ve made these tent camping in the middle of Yellowstone National Park), or even a conventional oven (nothing beats the winter blues like these summer-inspired Lemon-Herb Chicken and Potato Foil Packets). They are really just that versatile!
Looking for some other chicken recipes? Check out these recipes:
Lemon-Herb Chicken and Potato Foil Packets
- For the Marinade: [See Note 1]
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red peppers
- 1/8 tsp paprika (regular, sweet, or smoked) [See note 3]
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- For the packets
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts [See Note 1]
- 4 sprigs of parsley
- 8 shoots of asparagus , woody end removed
- 24 (about 1 pint) cherry tomatoes
- 1 lemon , sliced (8 slices)
- 1 Vidalia (sweet) onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- 4 medium potatoes (about 2 cups), thinly sliced
- 1 cup carrots , thinly sliced
- Preheated grill to medium heat
- Stir together the marinade seasonings and set aside.
- Lay out 4 sheets of aluminum foil on a flat surface. Equally divide and then layer the potatoes and carrots among the 4 sheets of aluminum foil.
- Then top each with sliced onions, and either 1 chicken breast or 2 thighs [See note 2].
- Add a sprig of parsley, two slices of lemon, 2 shoots of asparagus, and finally 6 cherry tomatoes.
- Drizzle each packet with 1 tablespoon of seasoning mixture [See Note 1].
- Fold foil over the chicken-potato-vegetable mixture and then fold the ends of the foil together to close off the foil packet.
- Place foil packs on preheated grill and cook for about 10-15 minutes, then flip and cook another 5-7 minutes. Check the chicken for doneness, once cooked through, garnish with additional fresh herbs if desired (such as basil, thyme, tarragon, rosemary, or oregano) and serve immediately.
- May substitute an Italian salad dressing for the marinade is short on time.
- Chicken breasts may be substituted with 6-8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (1-2 per packet).
- Any paprika may be used. I use smoked paprika for the added smoky flavor.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy, and is sourced from the USDA Food Database.
Follow along on Social Media