Cuban Picadillo is delicious, economical, comfort food. Similar to sloppy joes, this is a flavorful meal your whole family will enjoy.
I asked a friend for an authentic Cuban comfort food for my family to try out and so he shared with me his recipe for Picadillo.
We are always looking for something new and flavorful to do with a bit of ground beef. Though this dish does taste better after much time simmering, it is definitely a flavor-packed dish which he tells me is a staple in every Cuban household.
This dish reminded us of sloppy joes or Southern style BBQ hash.
If you have a package of ground beef and some time, try this dish out as I think it is sure to please!
Looking for more ground beef recipes? Check out these:
Want To Try This Cuban Picadillo Recipe?
Pin it to your FOOD AND BEVERAGE OR RECIPE board & SAVE it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning yummy new content!
©Kitchen Dreaming by KitchenDreaming.com
- 2 lbs ground beef or ground turkey
- 2 Small Spanish onion , diced
- 1 small bell pepper , diced
- 2 bay Leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano
- 1 can Fire Roasted Tomates diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6-7 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups Spanish green olives
- 1/2 cup capers
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add green pepper and onion and saute until translucent, then add the garlic and saute for and additional minute.
- Add tomato paste, Bay leaf, and oregano and cook for 3-4 minutes. Put in the ground beef, olives, tomatoes, and capers,and let them simmer.
- After about 40 minutes, taste and adjust seasonings. It important to note we do not drain the fat or not all of it, depending on amount. There needs to be a fair amount of fat in the meat.