Escargots à la Bourguignonne is somewhat of an acquired taste and are popular among those with an adventurous palate. This classic French dish is thought to be difficult to prepare, perfect and serve but that’s surely not the case. Generally served in single-serving plates, our version is cooked in a skillet or a baking dish and is perfect for a crowd.
The garlic-herb sauce in this dish is almost as delicious as the tender and earthy escargots themselves. Serve with slices of crusty baguette for sopping up the delicious buttery sauce and you have the perfect quick and easy appetizer. I’ve found that canned snails work well in this recipe and are readily available online and in some larger supermarkets which have made this once difficult and pretentious appetizer into one that can be whipped up anytime — and for a crowd!
Impress your guests with this deliciously exotic appetizer at your next gathering. Once they try it, they will be amazed at how delicious it really is.Print
The garlic-herb sauce in this dish is almost as delicious as the tender and earthy escargots themselves.
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 medium white onion, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic clove, minced
- Salt and ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup dry, white wine
- 1 28-ounce can (8 dozen) Escargots, rinsed well and drained
- baguette bread, for serving
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter and saute the onion and garlic until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Next, add the parsley and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the wine and the escargots. Simmer for 7 to 10 minutes or until the escargots are heated through being careful not to overcook as they can become rubbery.
- Transfer escargots into a serving dish and serve with slices of crusty baguette bread for sopping up the delicious, butter sauce.
Keywords: Escargots à la Bourguignonne, snails, recipe, how to make, cook, prepare, french food, homemade, from scratch, canned, easy, quick