This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Disclosure Policy .
Summer grilling season is here and one of my favorite things to make on the grill, especially for a crowd, are kebabs. These grilled cilantro lime chicken skewers are easy to make, quick to cook and fun to eat. Plus, grilled veggies are just the best anyway — but add cilantro lime marinade and they are phenomenal!
My husband and I (and even our 6-year old daughter) love cilantro-lime pesto, also called Chimichurri Sauce in some parts. I’ll tell you – it’s great on our Chimichurri Shrimp Pasta but goes exceptionally well on chicken and Steak and pork, too. On these grilled cilantro lime chicken skewers, we used the Cilantro Lime Sauce two ways — as a marinade on our chicken kebabs and I also reserved part to use as a dipping sauce. The flavors are fresh and bright, it’s amazing what fresh herbs bring to a dish.
I know some people are not big fans of cilantro. I used to be one, too — and yes, I also thought it tasted like soap – still sometimes do. But once I tried cilantro Chimichurri sauce, I was hooked. And still, while I wouldn’t eat cilantro plain off the stem like I do parsley, I do love it in this marinade. So, even if you don’t care for cilantro normally, you may like it in this sauce.
The best part of these grilled cilantro lime chicken skewers is that they are healthy for you and perfect for summer grilling season. These are so fajita like, that you could serve them with tortilla shells if you wanted but, we eat them just as they are with a side of Mexican rice — and they are delicious.Print
The best part of these grilled cilantro lime chicken skewers is that they are healthy for you and perfect for summer grilling season. These are so fajita like, that you could serve them with tortilla shells if you wanted but as a low carb option, we eat them just as they are with a side of Mexican rice — and they are delicious.
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 clove garlic ( or 1 tsp minced garlic)
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice or bottled key lime juice (sold on the fruit juice aisle)
- Kosher sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lbs chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 24–32 cherry tomatoes, depending on size
- 1 onion, cute into large pieces
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and cut into large pieces (I used one yellow and one orange)
- 2 Pobalno peppers, seeded and cut into large pieces
- 8 mushrooms, halved
- 8 long wooden kebab skewers or 16 shorter wooden kebab sticks
- In a food processor , add the cilantro, garlic, salt, pepper, and lime and pulse until smooth. Next, with the processor running, slowly drizzle the olive oil into the cilantro base until fully combined.
- Now, place half of the cilantro-lime pesto into a large zip top bag along with the chicken cubes. Stir the chicken around to coat then seal the bag and refrigerate for 30-minutes to marinate.
- While the chicken is marinating, soak the wooden skewers in water so they don’t burn on the grill.
- Assemble the skewers by placing a cherry tomato on the stick, followed by chicken, onion, mushroom and pepper peppers. Repeat as you like to the end of the skewer. Do not over crowd the skewer by pushing things on extremely tightly, this slows the cooking process for the meat.
- Add the skewers to the grill and cook for about 15-minutes, turning only once around 7-minutes. Begin checking for doneness around 12 minutes, as depending on the temperature of the grill, the chicken can cook faster than 15 minutes.
- Serve with lime wedges, extra cilantro lime marinade for dipping, with grilled tortilla shells or rice for an easy meal.
- Category: dinner
- Method: grill
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: how to, cilatro, lime, chicken, skewers, recipe
Follow along on Social Media
This post was last updated on