I am always looking for a new recipe to make with ground beef. I have many go-to favorites that my family enjoys but some days I just have a taste for something different. Today I had a craving for Asian flavors but all I had was a package of ground beef I needed to use up sitting in the fridge. Thinking of the flavors in a traditional Korean Bulgogi dish, I wanted to create a quick and easy meal that’s ready in just under 30-minutes.
This dish is flavorful and ready in the time it takes to simmer the rice in with the ground beef. This dish was not only ready in a flash but it is also very economical. I already had all the ingredients I needed on hand either fresh in my garden or in my pantry. I like to think of this dish as a Korean-inspired “Dirty Rice.” The flavor is amazing and uses just simple, readily available ingredients from the local supermarket.
Even my young daughter likes the flavors in this rice dish. We make it on the mild side and chose to add extra crushed red pepper and sriracha sauce as our garnish to spice up the adult bowls without making it too spicy for her.
Since we are able to easily adjust the spice levels of this dish, it makes it perfect for our family and allows us to expose our daughter to foods and flavors from around the world. This has given her a palate that seems to extend beyond her years. That’s something my husband and I feel really good about and it shows whenever we take her out to eat with friends and family and she’s able to easily find something on the menu she will enjoy instead of the traditional kids’ menu fare.
Easy Korean Beef Bulgogi Bowl
If you are craving Asian-inspired flavors, beef bulgogi is sure to leave you feeling satisfied. The minced beef is simmered in a sweet and tangy sauce and then served over fluffy steamed rice. This Asian Beef Bowl has a little bit of something for everyone.
- 1 pound ground beef minced beef
- 1/2 cup soy sauce , low sodium [See Note 1]
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger minced or ground
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar packed
- 1 cup rice , uncooked
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1/4 teaspoon salt , optional, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes more or less, to taste
- 3 green onions chopped
- 2 tsp Sesame Seeds toasted
- Sriracha sauce as needed
- Cook the Beef. Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add the sesame oil and garlic and brown the ground beef.
- Prepare the Sauce: After the beef is fully cooked, drain any excess fat and add brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, salt (optional), pepper, rice, beef stock (or water) and crushed red peppers. Simmer on low for 15-20 minutes or so or until the rice is cooked to your desired tenderness,
- Serve. Top with green onions, sesame seeds and an additional pinch of crushed red peppers (optional).
- If using regular soy sauce instead of reduced sodium, make sure to taste the food before adding salt.
Calories: 590kcalCarbohydrates: 48gProtein: 30gFat: 30gSaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 2208mgPotassium: 779mgFiber: 1gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 165IUVitamin C: 2.1mgCalcium: 68mgIron: 3.9mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!