Hummus is a quick and healthy snack but if you’ve even looked at the prices in the supermarket for a small tub, you’ve probably been left wondering why such a simple bean dip is so darn expensive! This Hummus without Tahini is creamy and smooth and won’t break the bank!
The most expensive ingredient in hummus is the tahini paste – which, to be honest, I don’t always have on hand. Tahini is made of ground sesame seeds so it has a distinct flavor if you don’t have tahini but do have sesame oil, you can add some sesame oil to add a similar flavor if not, it still tastes great without sesame oil or tahini added.
Serve with your favorite snacks, crackers, veggie sticks, pita chips, or pretzels. For presentation, I like to drizzle some extra olive oil and sprinkle with some red pepper flakes. If you have a favorite hummus flavor, like roasted garlic, olive, roasted red pepper, or pine nuts, you can easily add those in and create a variety of hummus dips. This is a great basic recipe.
Need some other quick Hummus Recipes? Check these out:
Do you have a favorite hummus recipe? Share it with me in the comments below, I’d love to hear from you!
Prepackaged hummus is expensive! A 10.0-ounce tub (1 1/4 cups) will set you back about $3.99. Quite expensive for a simple dip comprised of beans pureed with simple pantry ingredients.
- 1 (15 oz.) can garbanzo beans (chickpeas ), drained and rinsed
- 4 to 6 tablespoons water
- 2 to 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 to 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- red pepper (chili) flakes, to taste (optional)
- Add the garbanzo beans, 4 tablespoons of water, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, to a food processor . Process until smooth and creamy. If needed, add additional water or oil to thin out the hummus as desired. Add salt, paprika, and red (chili) pepper flakes to your desired taste preference.
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Keywords: Hummus without Tahini, recipe, how to make, prepare, from scratch, homemade, chick peas, garbanzo,