This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Disclosure Policy .
This comfort food classic gets an over haul using the Instant Pot. Scratch-made Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings is ready in just 30-minutes!
Usually, I prepare Chicken and Noodles in my Dutch oven and slowly simmer it on the stove. Since I haven’t been feeling that great lately, I also have not felt much like cooking – especially anything that requires a lot of time – or attention. I still have a family to feed though – even when I’m sick.
All I’m craving is a big, steaming pot of comfort food. Enter: Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings. Ready in 30-minutes or less, this quick cooking dish is comfort food in a bowl. Comfort food for the common cold.
This meal starts with leftover shredded chicken from a Roasted Lemon Chicken we had earlier in the week, sauteed vegetables, and chicken stock. I start by sauteing the vegetables on the “Saute” setting of my Instant Pot over high heat until they have softened. I then add the shredded chicken and chicken broth and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Then, I secure the Instant Pot lid and select the “manual” setting and pressure cook over high heat for 10 minutes. Once the cooking cycle completes, I use the quick release knob to release the lid. Add the milk and cornstarch slurry and then stir to combine. Then, select “Saute” again and heat over low to thicken the broth.
For the Dumplings: Mix the flour, water, salt, ground pepper, and chopped parsley. Mix until just combined. Form dough into a log and slice or drop by rounded teaspoonfuls into the hot broth.
Cover Instant Pot with the lid but do not lock and cook for an additional 7-10 minutes until the dumplings double in size and float to the surface. The broth should have also thickened during this time.
The broth is so delicious, warm and comforting. To add some brightness, try a squeeze of fresh lemon. It adds a nice flavor to the dish and pairs so well with the fresh herbs.
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPES?
- Instant Pot Jamaican Jerk Ribs
- Italian-Style Instant Pot Pot Roast
- Instant Pot Filipino Adobo Chicken
- Instant Pot Recipe: Pressure Cooker Meatloaf
Want to try this Chicken and Dumplings Recipe?
Pin it to your FOOD AND BEVERAGE OR RECIPE board & SAVE it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning yummy new content!
©Kitchen Dreaming by KitchenDreaming.com
Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings is ready in 30-minutes or less! This quick cooking dish is comfort food in a bowl. Comfort food for the common cold.
For the Soup Base:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 carrots, diced small
- 2 stalks celery cleaned and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup peas, frozen [See Note]
- 2 cups cooked diced or shredded chicken
- 32 oz (4 cups) Chicken Stock
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric [See Note]
- 1 tsp fresh chopped flat leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup milk [See Note]
For the Thickener:
- 4 tbsp cornstarch or flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
For the Dumplings:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley or thyme leaves
- Preheat the Instant Pot by selecting Saute over high heat. Add the butter and melt.
- Saute the carrots, celery, peas, and onions in until softened, about 3 minutes. Scrape the bottom of the pot while stirring the carrots.
- Add chicken and broth to the pot. Season with turmeric, salt, and pepper and then secure the lid.
- Select Manual and cook at high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the dumplings. Mix together the flour, salt, baking powder, and fresh parsley. Stir in the melted butter and add the milk and stir until just combined. Set aside.
- Once the instant pot cooking cycle is complete, use the quick release and open the pot. Stir in the milk.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch (or flour) with the cold water and mix until smooth. Stir into the pot. Cornstarch needs heat to activate as a thickener while flour thickens in the water. Add more water if needed to reach desired thickness with the flour.
- Select Saute again and heat on low. Add teaspoonfuls of the dumpling mixture to the simmering pot. Cover without locking lid and cook for 5-7 minutes until the dumplings double in size and float to the top.
- Serve garnished with extra fresh thyme and fresh ground pepper, if desired.
- Use any vegetables you like, peas work for my family but your family may not like them. Some people tell me they add potatoes to this recipe and they really enjoy it.
- Turmeric is a spice which is yellow in color. It gives the soup both color and flavor. however, if you do not have turmeric in the pantry, you may omit it.
- DO NOT add the milk during the initial cooking phase. Stir it into the pot just before adding the thickener and dropping in the dumplings. adding the milk into the Instant Pot does very bad things – causing the soup to bubble up and out of the pot through the quick release vent. The milk may also be omitted – it makes the soup creamy.
Keywords: Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings recipe, pressure cooker, homemade, easy, quick, 30 minute meal, budget friendly, family friendly, entree, MSG free,