This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Disclosure Policy .
Pin this Chicken Fried Steak with Country Gravy to your “Breakfast” or “Dinner” boards.
While we’re at it, let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always pinning new content!Print
Chicken Fried Steak with Country Gravy is a southern comfort food which has many names including Country Fried Steak, Southern Fried Steak, or as my mom called it Smoothered Fried Steak.
For the Cube Steaks:
- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds cubed steaks
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Oil for frying
For the Country Gravy:
- 3 tablespoons of pan drippings with bits and pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- Salt and Ground Black Pepper, to taste
For the Cube Steaks:
- Preheat oven to 200°- 250°F (your lowest oven setting)
- Beat eggs and milk in a pie pan, set aside
- In another pie pan mix all dry ingredients together
- Season the meat with salt and pepper
- Dredge in flour, shake off excess
- Dredge in egg, shake off excess
- Dredge in flour again, shake off excess
- Place on a plate or baking pan and allow to rest for 15 to 20 minutes before cooking.
- Heat enough oil to cover the bottom of a 12 inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle a couple of drops of water into oil, if water pops the oil is ready to fry. Place a couple of pieces of meat in skillet, cook approximately 3-5 minutes per side or until golden brown
- Remove from oil, place on a wire rack set on a baking pan, place in pre-heated oven to keep warm until all meat is cooked
For the Sawmill Gravy
- After you fry your steaks drain all remaining oil retaining 3-4 tablespoons to make a Roux, retain some of the bits and pieces from the bottom of the pan.
- Whisk the flour into the oil and cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in milk a little at a time.
- Return to medium-high heat and stir until gravy starts to thicken.
- Make sure to scrape the bits off the bottom as you are stirring
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Category: dinner
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: how to, courty, fried, steak, gravy
Follow along on Social Media
This post was last updated on