This easy meatball stroganoff recipe includes a fabulous sour cream gravy that is rich, creamy and, scratch-made. There are no canned soups of frozen meatballs here friends. This meal is hearty, comforting, and delicious!
This Beef Stroganoff Meatball recipe is a delicious twist on a family favorite – meatballs and a great riff on ground beef stroganoff!
But maybe you are wondering what is Beef Stroganoff anyway? Beef Stroganoff or Beef Stroganov is a Russian dish of sautéed beef served in a rich sauce. This dish is very popular around the world, with infinite variations on the original recipe like this one for ground beef stroganoff.
The meatballs are coated in a rich, creamy scratch-made stroganoff sauce. There are no canned soups of frozen meatballs here friends. This meal is hearty, comforting, and delicious!
If you are looking for a Ground Beef Stroganoff recipe for your slow cooker, click the link to go to my recipe.
What ingredients are in this easy Beef Stroganoff?
You will find a complete list of measurements and instructions on the recipe card below, but you will need:
- Ground Beef
- garlic powder
How do you make ground Beef Stroganoff recipe with meatballs?
You will find a detailed list of instructions below on the printable recipe card, but you will:
- Prepare the meatball mix.
- Bake the meatballs in the oven.
- Cook the noodles.
- While the noodles cook and the meatballs bake, create the gravy.
- Toss it all together.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
What meat should I use for homemade Beef Stroganoff?
In a traditional Beef Stroganoff, you would use beef stew meat. In this quick version, you will use ground beef. I use super lean ground beef and bake until golden brown so they don’t dry out. Other ground beef may be used, just remember to drain the oil. If following the weight watchers points, other percentages in fat will increase the points value.
Which wine should I use in Beef Stroganoff?
I prefer dry white wine, but any wine will do, just be sure it’s one you enjoy the flavor of.
Which Mustard should I use in Beef Stroganoff?
I prefer Grey Poupon. For those who do not care for mustard, omit it without replacement.
Which Pasta should I serve with Beef Stroganoff?
Traditionally, egg noodles are used but you may swap that out for any noodle you prefer.
Can Beef Stroganoff be made ahead?
Yes! If I make this ahead, I leave the sour cream out of the sauce until after the reheat.
Can Beef Stroganoff be frozen?
Yes, store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Can Beef Stroganoff be reheated?
Yes, microwave at half power in 30-second intervals, stirring between each additional interval of time.
Ground Beef Stroganoff without cream of mushroom soup?
Absolutely! Read the recipe card to see how easy it is to prepare. Of course, if you prefer, you can use the soup instead but this will greatly increase the fat and sodium content of your dish.
Beef Stroganoff Recipe Variations:
Gluten-free Beef Stroganoff:
Swap the traditional Panko for a gluten-free variety. Also, serve on gluten-free pasta, rice, or mashed potatoes.
Beef Stroganoff without Sour Cream or Dairy-Free Beef Stroganoff:
Omit the milk in the meat mixture and replace with water. For the gravy, omit the sour cream altogether or replace with vegan sour cream.
Beef Stroganoff without Pasta:
Absolutely! We serve this over rice or mashed potatoes, too!
Easy Ground Beef Stroganoff recipe without Mushrooms:
Easy! Omit the mushrooms. If you prefer you can not replace them with anything or you could replace them with onions for a twist on this dish.
Beef Stroganoff for the slow cooker /Crockpot/Crock pot:
See my slow cooker recipe: Ground Beef Stroganoff recipe for your slow cooker
Other Serving Suggestions:
Traditionally this is served with egg noodles but it’s also perfect over rice or mashed potatoes, too! Serve alongside sautéed broccoli, spinach, or Brussels sprouts and a fresh side salad for a balanced meal.
Rave reviews from your toughest critics! Thumbs up!
Want To Try This Meatball Stroganoff Recipe?
Pin it to your FOOD AND BEVERAGE OR RECIPE board & SAVE it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning yummy new content!
©Kitchen Dreaming by KitchenDreaming.com
- 8 ounces uncooked egg noodles (about half a bag)
For the Meatballs:
- 16 ounces lean ground beef [See note 1]
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped, fresh
- 1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup milk , or water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg , beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg ground
For the Sour Cream Gravy
- 16 ounces cremini mushrooms , sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup onion diced
- 3 teaspoons fresh garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup dry white wine [See note 2]
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cup beef stock unsalted, cooking stock
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce [See note 3]
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard [See note 4]
- Dash of nutmeg optional, to taste [See Note 5]
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Prepare a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil (optional for easy clean up) and set aside.
- Next, bring a pot of liberally salted water to a boil and cook noodles according to the package directions, omitting. When finished, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, while the water heats, prepare the meatball mix by combining panko and milk in the bottom of a large mixing bowl. Allow mixture to soak for two minutes before adding the ground beef, fresh chopped parsley, salt, pepper, garlic powder, nutmeg, beaten egg, and onions into the bowl. Gently combine the ingredients with your fingertips being careful not to compact the meat, which makes for dense meatballs. Shape beef mixture into 16 (1 ounce) meatballs; about 1 1/2 to 2-inches round.
- Bake the meatballs in the oven on a prepared baking sheet for 12 to 15 minutes; or until cooked through.
- While the meatballs bake, prepare the sauce. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of your preferred oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onions and mushrooms to pan; sauté 6 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and paprika. Cook 1 minute.
- Add wine to pan; cook (to burn off the alcohol) until the liquid almost evaporates.
- Sprinkle flour evenly over mushroom mixture; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add beef stock; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes or until sauce slightly thickens. Remove pan from heat.
- Stir in salt, pepper, sour cream, mustard, and nutmeg. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Add meatballs to sauce; toss to coat.
- Spoon sauce and meatballs over cooked noodles.
- Sprinkle evenly with additional chopped parsley.
- May also use a blend of ground beef and ground pork.
- I used Prosecco as it was what I had on hand already open in my wine chiller. Prosecco is a sparkling dry white wine with a hint of sweetness, that delivers flavors of pear, honey, and sweet peach. You may use any of your favorite dry white wines. If you wish to omit the wine, increase the beef stock (or water) by 1/2 cup. The sauce will suffer a distinct flavor-loss from the omission of the wine but will still be flavorful.
- Worcestershire sauce adds an extra little meaty flavor to the sauce. It's great paired with mushrooms and beef - so it really adds a level of flavor to the sauce.
- Dijon mustard is a strong flavor, start with just a small amount so it doesn't overpower the base. If you do not like mustard, or particularly dijon mustard, omit it. I use Grey Poupon brand dijon mustard.
- Don't skip the nutmeg, it adds a certain distinction to any cream based sauce. A little bit goes a long way here- so adjust seasonings to your own tastes.
Beef Stroganoff Recipe Variations:Gluten-free Beef Stroganoff: Swap the traditional Panko for a gluten-free variety. Also, serve on gluten-free pasta, rice, or mashed potatoes. Beef Stroganoff without Sour Cream or Dairy-Free Beef Stroganoff: Omit the milk in the meat mixture and replace with water. For the gravy, omit the sour cream altogether or replace with vegan sour cream. Beef Stroganoff without Pasta: Absolutely! We serve this over rice or mashed potatoes, too! Easy Ground Beef Stroganoff recipe without Mushrooms: Easy! Omit the mushrooms. If you prefer you can not replace them with anything or you could replace them with onions for a twist on this dish. Beef Stroganoff for the /Crockpot/Crock pot: See my slow cooker recipe: Ground Beef Stroganoff recipe for your slow cooker
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy, and is sourced from the USDA Food Database.