Authentic Cuban bread is difficult to find in our area, so we’ve prepared these Cuban Sliders which are traditionally served with sweet bread. This variation of the classic Cuban sandwich is called Medianoche, or midnight, which is when these small sandwiches are usually eaten after a night of dancing. These sandwiches were an absolute hit at our Cuban Theme Party (post coming Sept 21) –it’s a good thing I made plenty!
The Roast Pork really makes this sandwich sing, so you won’t want to leave it out. I started the pork to roast (low and slow) in the oven about midday (about 2 to 4 hours at 325°F — or until fork tender) so that it was hot and ready to shred later that afternoon just as I prepared the sandwiches for the party. Then all that’s left is a quick trip into the oven to melt the cheese and this recipe produces a hot sandwich perfect for any tapas menu.
recipe adapted from Taste of Cuba
Medianoche Cuban Sandwiches
- 1 (24-ct) package Hawaiian dinner rolls
- Dijon mustard
- 1 (8 oz) package Swiss Cheese
- 1 (8-oz) package hard salami
- 1 (16 oz) package sliced deli ham
- 2- lbs (32 oz) boneless roasted pork shoulder, shredded
- 48 pickle slices , bread and butter
- Pre-heat the oven to 325°F.
- Lightly grease a 9x13" pan with non-stick cooking spray or butter.
- Cut the rolls in half horizontally removing the tops and placing the bottoms in the baking pan.
- Spread Dijon mustard over the bottom layer of buns.
- Next add an even layer of cheese across all the buns.
- On top of the cheese, add a layer of salami.
- Next add a layer of ham.
- Now add the shredded pork in an even layer across all the buns.
- Add 2 pickles per sandwich roll and top with the other half of the bun.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the sandwiches have steamed through. Remove from the oven. Cut the sandwiches apart and serve hot.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy, and is sourced from the USDA Food Database.
To see all the recipes from our Cuban Theme Party, please visit the following links: