As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Disclosure Policy .
Homemade Green Plantain Chips with Mojo Vinaigrette is so easy to make and are reminiscent of the style chips served in the Cuban cafes I’ve eaten at in Florida. They were the perfect accompaniment for our Cuban Theme Party (post coming Sept 21).
Because of the starchiness of the plantains, these chips are crisp and delicious served with the garlic-citrus (Mojo) vinaigrette. We used peanut oil since it’s what we had on hand but you could easily use vegetable or canola oil in it’s place.
To see all the recipes from our Cuban Theme Party, please visit the following links:Print
These chips are crisp and delicious served with the garlic-citrus (Mojo) vinaigrette
- 2 large green plantains, peeled
- vegetable or peanut oil for frying
- For mojo vinaigrette
- 4–6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup of orange juice
- 1/4 cup of lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Cut the plantains in half crosswise. Using a vegetable peeler, pare each plantain half lengthwise in ribbon-like shavings. If not immediately frying, the shavings can be placed in a bowl and covered with cold water to soak for 30 minutes. Drain and pat dry with paper towels before frying.
- In a heavy skillet or deep fryer, heat 2 inches of oil over medium-high heat to 375º or until plantains slice sizzles when it touches the oil. Add the plantain slices to the oil 5-6 at a time, turning them with a slotted spoon until they are crisp, about 1-2 minutes. Be careful not to overcrowd the skillet or the oil temperature will fall and the plantains will absorb too much oil and become soggy. Remove plantains from oil and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and serve with vinaigrette.
- To make the vinaigrette:
- Mash the garlic with one teaspoon of salt to form a smooth paste. Using a food processor , combine the garlic paste, orange juice, and lime juice. With the motor running, slowly add the olive oil in a steady stream until smooth. The ingredients can also be mashed together in a mortar and pestle.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Cuban
Keywords: Plantain Chips with Mojo Vinaigrette, homemade, scratch made, how to make, how to cook, msg free, cuban dishes, easy, quick, 30 minute meals, ingredients, sauce, dipping
Recipe from Hungry Sophia: Plantain Chips with Garlic Dip
Follow along on Social Media
This post was last updated on