This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Disclosure Policy .
The classic Cuban mojito is a traditional Cuban cocktail made with lime, mint, and rum. If you’re looking for a simple, thirst-quenching drink to get through the summer heat, this may very well be your new favorite cocktail.
Where did mojitos originate?
The classic mojito is a traditional Cuban cocktail and it has all but swept the nation here in the USA. Along with this classic version, many equally delicious fruity variations have now also become quite popular. Mojitos are very refreshing and were the perfect accompaniment to our Cuban Themed Party.
If you’re looking for a simple, thirst-quenching drink to get through the summer heat, this may very well be your new favorite cocktail. I love spearmint and this drink for me is absolutely perfect as it is. We’ve made this also without the alcohol and added a splash of lemon-lime soda and it’s also very satisfying.
If you’ve never tried a classic mojito yet but like rum, lime and spearmint, you will absolutely LOVE it. Give it a try.
Can mojitos be made ahead of the party?
The short answer is yes. Prepare a pitcher of mojitos without the ice. Then simply pour over ice as you are ready to serve to keep from watering down the cocktails.
Can Mojitos be made with vodka instead of rum?
Absolutely! Simply substitute the rum with vodka with no other changes to the recipe. Easy peasy!
How do I make mojitos for a crowd?
We usually enjoy them by the glass when we crush the mint fresh and prepare them as needed. However, for a party, sometimes that just isn’t feasible. I have included instructions for making mojitos by the pitcher as well.
LOOKING FOR MORE CUBAN RECIPES?
- How to Throw a Cuban-themed Party
- Cuban Slider Sandwiches
- Cuban Plantains with Mojo Vinaigrette
- Shortcut Beef Empanadas
- Cuban Shortbread Cookies
- Cuban Picadillo
Want to try this Cuban Mojito Recipe?
Pin it to your ALCOHOL, BEVERAGES, PARTY or ENTERTAINING board & SAVE it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning yummy new content!
©Kitchen Dreaming by KitchenDreaming.comPrint
The classic mojito is a traditional Cuban libation made with lime, mint, and rum. If you’re looking for a simple, thirst-quenching drink to get through the summer heat, this may very well be your new favorite cocktail.
By the Glass:
- 2 parts quality rum
- 4 lime wedges
- 12 fresh mint leaves
- 2 heaped teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 part soda water, club soda, or lemon-lime soda
- Sprig of fresh mint to garnish
By the Pitcher (serves 12):
- 1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 1/4 cups rum
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Club Soda, Soda Water, or lemon-lime soda
- By the Glass: Place sugar in a food processor and pulse until it reaches a super-fine but not powdery consistency then add it to the bottom of the glass. Gently press together the limes & sugar. Bruise the mint leaves by clapping them between your palms, rub them on the rim of the glass and drop them in. Next, half fill the glass with crushed ice, add the rum & stir. Top up with crushed ice, a splash of soda and a sprig of mint.
- By the Pitcher: Make a simple syrup by heating sugar and water until completely dissolved. Set aside to cool. Into the pitcher add fresh mint and bruise it with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula so it becomes fragrant releasing its essential oils. Next, add lime juice and rum. Add simple syrup and stir to combine. Pour drink mix over ice filling the glass 2/3 full and then topping with club soda, soda water, or lemon-lime soda.
- The original recipe calls for castor sugar which can be difficult to find but is nothing more than granulated sugar that’s been processed until it reaches a super-fine but not powdery consistency. If you are going to be making many drinks, pulse a half cup of sugar or so ahead of your gathering to save time when preparing drinks later on.
- The mint leaves should be bruised and not torn or shredded to give the best flavor.
Keywords: Traditional Mojitos, alcoholic drinks, adult beverages, Cuban drinks, homemade, easy, pitcher, party, cocktail recipes,
Never miss what’s coming out of our Kitchen:
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: