Now that school has started, we find ourselves looking for quick breakfasts we can either make ahead or eat on-the-go. For us, pancakes fit that need since we can prepare them in advance and freeze them until ready to use. Depending on the size, you can even reheat a pancake in the toaster on the frozen setting or opt for the microwave. If you prepare then into small ovals, you can even dunk them into syrup on the go or serve them to the little ones still eating finger foods.
For the breakfast lover on your list, you can bottle this Instant Pancake Mix up into a decorative air-tight jar or canister, add some pure maple syrup, pure vanilla extract and a whisk and have the perfect gift for any occasion. We like this mix because we can prepare it ourselves using ingredients we control and not have extra boxes and bags cluttering up the pantry.
The Instant Pancake Mix, which we got from Alton Brown, yields enough dry ingredients to prepare 3 batches or 36 average-sized pancakes.Print
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 cups Pancake Mix, recipe above
- 1 stick butter, for greasing the pan
- Heat an electric griddle or frying pan to 350 degrees F. Heat oven to 200 degrees F.
- Whisk together the egg whites and the buttermilk in a small bowl. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the melted butter.
- Combine the buttermilk mixture with the egg yolk mixture in a large mixing bowl and whisk together until thoroughly combined. Pour the liquid ingredients on top of the pancake mix. Using a whisk, mix the batter just enough to bring it together. Don’t try to work all the lumps out.
- Check to see that the griddle is hot by placing a few drops of water onto to the griddle. The griddle is ready if the water dances across the surface.
- Lightly butter the griddle. Wipe off thoroughly with a paper towel. (No butter should be visible.)
- Gently ladle the pancake batter onto the griddle and sprinkle on fruit if desired. When bubbles begin to set around the edges of the pancake and the griddle-side of the cake is golden, gently flip the pancakes. Continue to cook 2 to 3 minutes or until the pancake is set.
- Serve immediately or remove to a towel-lined baking sheet and cover with a towel. Hold in a warm place for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg