This easy pistachio bundt cake starts with an ordinary boxed cake mix which we “doctor” up transforming it into this gorgeous spring-themed, moist and tender pistachio pudding cake your whole family will love.
Jump to Content:
Pistachio Cake Recipe
This pistachio pudding cake has been a family favorite for years. Preparing cake in a bundt pan is perfect when you are wanting something a little more special than a traditional cake. Given its green color, it’s absolutely perfect for St. Patrick’s Day, too and since it starts with a boxed cake mix, it couldn’t be easier! Let’s get started.
How to Doctor a Cake Mix
At its very basic definition, a cake mix is nothing more than the dry ingredients for a cake conveniently measured out for you. The cake makers have got this down to an exact science. They developed the cake mixes to be full-proof and use only a modicum of ingredients the home cook normally has had on hand.
To the pre-measured dry cake mix ingredients, you will then add some basic wet ingredients — eggs, oil, and water, to form the cake batter. Today, we are going to jazz that up and make this cake taste as if it came from the bakery.
First, although it’s a dry ingredient, we are going to add pistachio pudding mix to the dry ingredients. This will give the cake the pale green color and also keep the cake incredibly moist with the perfect, tenderness.
Next, instead of adding just the three eggs called for on the box, we will add 1 additional egg making it four eggs. The extra egg gives the cake an extra richness.
Now, replace the water called for on the box with milk. I use whole milk but skim or 2% can be used. I have not tried this recipe yet with almond or coconut milk.
Finally, instead of oil, I use an equal amount of melted butter – because, well —- butter. Mmmm.
Pistachio Bundt Cake ingredients:
- 1 box yellow (or white) cake mix
- 2 small boxes of instant pistachio pudding mix
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, melted
- 4 large eggs
- Pistachios, shelled and chopped
- optional: green food coloring for more pronounced color
- optional: powdered sugar for royal icing or dusting
- optional: additional chopped pistachios for garnishing the royal icing
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Hand mixer
- Silicone spatula
- Cooling rack
- Standard bundt pan or a Heritage bundt pan (pictured)
How to Make Pistachio Bundt Cake
Preheat the oven to 350° F.
Grease a 10-inch bundt pan with vegetable shortening or non-stick cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl , combine cake mix, pudding, melted butter, milk, eggs, and nuts and blend for about 3 minutes being careful not to overwork the batter as overworking the batter will cause a more dense cake.
Pour into prepared bundt pan and bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Once the cake is cool, frost with royal icing and garnish with crushed pistachios.
More cake mix recipe ideas
If you like butterscotch, you’ll love this Butter Rum Bundt cake! It tastes like the Life Savers candy. If you like butter rum candy, you should check it out.
If Pumpkin spice is your thing, try this Autumn Bundt cake which has all the warm autumn flavors you crave.
Looking for a great kids birthday cake with all the colors of the rainbow? Check out my Unicorn Rainbow cake. The girls loved this cake and it was super easy to prepare!
For an easy pink baby or bridal shower cake, check out this beautiful Pink Ombre Cake. This can easily be done with blue or any other color to fit your baby shower or gender reveal party needs!
Want To Save This Recipe for later?
Pin it to your FOOD, DESSERT, OR RECIPE board & SAVE it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning yummy new content!
©Kitchen Dreaming by KitchenDreaming.com
Pistachio Bundt Cake
- Heritage bundt pan (pattern shown in photos) or Standard Bundt Pan
- 13" x 9" rectangle pan (as an alternative to the bundt pan)
- cooling rack
- Silicone Spatula
- electric hand mixer
- mixing bowls
- Measuring Cups
- 1 box of Yellow cake mix
- 2 3.4 oz boxes instant pistachio pudding
- 3/4 cup butter , melted
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup pistachios , shelled and roughly chopped
- green food coloring optional - for more pronounced color (i did not add extra coloring).
- 2 cups royal icing
- 1/8 cup crushed pistachios
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Grease a 10-inch Heritage bundt pan with vegetable shortening [See Note 1] or non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, puddings, melted butter, milk, eggs, and nuts for about 3 minutes careful not to overwork the batter as overworking the batter will cause a more dense cake.
- Pour into prepared bundt pan and bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.If using a 13" x 9" rectangular baking pan, cook for 25-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cake rest on a cooling rack in the bundt pan for about 10 minutes. Then, invert the cake onto a serving plate to finish cooling.If using a 13" x 9" pan, allow the cake to cool on the wire rack until completely cool. I do not usually turn it out onto a cooling rack and instead serve from the pan.
- Once the cake is cool, frost with your favorite frosting or royal icing and garnish with chopped pistachios.
- For bundt pans with deep grooves such as the heritage bundt pan, I find that using vegetable shortening works best for helping the cake release from the pan. For a standard bundt pan, non-stick cooking spray or butter works fine.
- Calculated calories include royal icing and chopped pistachio garnishes.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy, and is sourced from the USDA Food Database.