I recently flew out to Montana to visit Katie and so with images of the West still in my mind and the dust still covering my boots, I say “Until I see you again, my friend. I love you and thank you for a beautiful friendship.”
Baked Chimichangas with Chile Verde Sauce is a lighter version of the traditional fried ones. Packed full of flavor and without the greasy oil.
- non-stick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- 2 small tomato, seeded and diced, divided
- 2 1/2 cups shredded leftover or rotisserie chicken
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 3/4 cup sour cream, divided
- 1 15-ounce can refried beans or 2 cups of homemade refried beans (recipe here)
- 10 10-inch flour tortillas
- 2 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese, divided
- Shredded lettuce, for topping
- taco sauce
Green Chili sauce ingredients:
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 4-ounce cans green chilies; drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, rough chopped
- Preheat the oven to 450° F. Melt the butter in a skillet; add the onion, garlic and jalapeno and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin, cinnamon and 1 teaspoon salt; toast 30 seconds. Add the tomato and cilantro and cook an additional 2 minutes. Stir in the chicken and 1/4 cup of sour cream and warm through. Remove from the heat.
- Spray a rimmed baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Spread 2 tablespoons refried beans down the center of each tortilla, leaving a 2-inch border on both ends. Top with 1 cup chicken mixture and 1/4 cup cheese. Fold in the ends and roll up.
- Put the chimichangas seam-side down on the baking sheet; brush the tops with melted butter. Bake 10 to 15 minutes. Top with the green chili sauce, taco sauce, cheese, lettuce and tomato and a dollop of sour cream. Serve with Mexican Style rice (recipe here) and beans.
- Green chili Sauce:
- Saute the onion and garlic in a skillet with vegetable oil. Add the chili powder, cumin, sugar and salt; let cook 30 seconds. Next stir in the chopped green chiles and cook another 2 minutes. Add 1 cup chicken broth and simmer until thickened. Carefully pour into a blender and puree the sauce. Lastly, stir in the chopped cilantro.
Keywords: how to, mexican, chicken, chimichangas, baked, recipe, homemade, from scratch, chimichurri, leftover chicken uses, make,
If you liked these Baked Chicken Chimichangas, you may also enjoy these recipes:
HOMEMADE PINTO BEANS