Grilled Chili Cheese dogs are one of my favorite things from childhood. They are nostalgic to me and bring back so many fond memories of spending one-on-one time with my Dad. We had many hot dog vendors in our area but my Dad and I had a couple that we would frequent more regularly than most others. The chili dog sauce the vendors make was always so delicious but you just can’t get that same flavor from any Chili Sauce style topping you re-heat from a store-bought can.
Luckily, now that I’m married, my husband is a fan of grilled chili cheese dogs as well — though here in South Carolina, we top them with both chili sauce and coleslaw — a chili-slaw dog — the Chili Sauce we’ve created is equally delicious to the vendors in the area. So when we get a craving for Chili Cheese or Chili Slaw dogs, we whip up a quick batch of this tangy Chili Sauce. This sauce is also great on burgers, and even french fries topped with jalapenos, onions, cheese, sour cream and hot sauce. Go ahead, give it a try!! Loaded Chili Cheese Fries are equally amazing!
So, to recap this Chili Sauce is:
Best Ever Chili Sauce
- 1 lb. lean ground beef - 93% lean or better
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced into a paste
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- Place the ground beef and onion in a large skillet. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- As the meat browns, crumble the beef into small pieces until the beef is no longer pink and onion is soft and translucent. If necessary, drain any excess oil.
- Next, add the Worcestershire sauce, garlic, chili powder, cumin, tomato sauce and water.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low.
- Simmer until chili sauce reaches desired consistency.
If you like this Chili Sauce, you may also like these recipes: