I would love to tell you that the inspiration for this cake was something grand but it wasn’t. It came to me as I was relaxing outside today and thinking.
Out of nowhere the thought of how much my Mom loved Butter Rum Lifesavers candy when she was alive wandered into my thoughts. My next thought was, of course, that it would make a great cake flavoring. I immediately went into the kitchen to see what I had on hand to bring this cake to life.
Much like my Pistachio Bundt Cake, this one starts with a white (or yellow) cake mix with a few simple add-ins which make it a quick and simple cake to make.
Out of the oven and frosted, we cut the cake and took samples and it was very well received by my husband and kids as well as all my co-workers.
The flavors come together with the help of rum extract and a butter flavoring both of which are found in the baking aisle of the supermarket making this cake non-alcoholic.
The butterscotch chips inside the batter melt into the cake so nicely and this turned out to be so super moist cake.
Save this Butter Rum Bundt Cake to your “Desserts” or “Cake” Pinterest boards!
And while we’re at it – let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always pinning tasty new recipes!
Butter Rum Bundt Cake
Yield 16-20 servings
There's just something about the (non-alcoholic) butter rum flavor that folks enjoy and this cake is super moist because of the addition of pudding mix.
- 1 box of White or Yellow cake mix
- 2 small (3.4 oz) boxes of instant butterscotch pudding
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 6 oz Butterscotch Chips
- 1 Tsp Rum extract
- 1 Tbsp Butter flavoring
- thick royal or buttercream icing
- extra butterscotch chips
- Preheat oven to 350 °F
- Grease a 10 inch bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In mixing bowl, combine cake mix, puddings, oil, water, eggs, butterscotch chips and extracts about 3 minutes careful not to over work the batter as over working the batter causes a more dense cake.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cake rest on counter in pan 10 minutes. Then, invert the cake onto a serving plate to finish cooling.
- Once the cake is cool, frost with your favorite frosting or royal icing.
Serving Size 4 oz
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 19.2 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 89 mg
Sodium 1144 mg
Total Carbohydrates 61.8 g
Sugars 31.4 g
Protein 4.6 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.