This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Disclosure Policy .
I would love to tell you that the inspiration for this cake was something grand but it wasn’t. It came to me as I was relaxing outside today and thinking.
Out of nowhere the thought of how much my Mom loved Butter Rum Lifesavers candy when she was alive wandered into my thoughts. My next thought was, of course, that it would make a great cake flavoring. I immediately went into the kitchen to see what I had on hand to bring this cake to life.
Much like my Pistachio Bundt Cake, this one starts with a white (or yellow) cake mix with a few simple add-ins which make it a quick and simple cake to make.
Out of the oven and frosted, we cut the cake and took samples and it was very well received by my husband and kids as well as all my co-workers.
The flavors come together with the help of rum extract and a butter flavoring both of which are found in the baking aisle of the supermarket making this cake non-alcoholic.
The butterscotch chips inside the batter melt into the cake so nicely and this turned out to be so super moist cake.
PRO KITCHEN TIP: For bundt pans with deep grooves such as the heritage bundt pan, I find that using vegetable shortening works best for helping the cake release from the pan. For a standard bundt pan, non-stick cooking spray or butter works fine.
Save this Butter Rum Bundt Cake to your “Desserts” or “Cake” Pinterest boards!
And while we’re at it – let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always pinning tasty new recipes!
There’s just something about the (non-alcoholic) butter rum flavor that folks enjoy and this cake is super moist because of the addition of pudding mix. #CakeMix #Cake #Rum
- 1 box of White or Yellow cake mix
- 2 small (3.4 oz) boxes of instant butterscotch pudding
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 6 oz Butterscotch Chips
- 1 Tsp Rum extract
- 1 Tbsp Butter flavoring
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 350 °F
- Grease a 10-inch bundt pan [See Note 1] with non-stick cooking spray.
- In mixing bowl, combine cake mix, puddings, melted butter, milk, eggs, butterscotch chips and extracts about 3 minutes careful not to overwork the batter as overworking the batter causes a more dense cake.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cake rest on a cooling rack in pan 10 minutes. Then, invert the cake onto a serving plate to finish cooling.
- Once the cake is cool, drizzle with royal icing.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cake, bundt, rum, cake mix