This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Disclosure Policy .
A comfort food classic, Crock Pot Salisbury steak is as easy as it is delicious. Prep and go, ready when you get home!
My husband and I have been craving Crock Pot Salisbury Steak. My Uncle used to make a skillet version of this for us when I was a kid but he always called them simply “Smothered hamburgers.” I suspect that had he called them “Salisbury Steaks,” we probably would have wrinkled our noses at him.
I always really admired my Uncle and I remember admiring that he knew how to cook. It wasn’t really the norm back then, for the husband or father to make the family meals and like my own family working arrangement now, he worked early mornings to mid-afternoon and my Aunt worked second shift. So as my Aunt headed to work for the night, the kids would be getting home from school. My Uncle would help with homework and then make a homemade meal. On the nights my uncle babysat me, I always secretly hoped his smothered hamburgers were in the oven for dinner when I got off the school bus. :)
As a teenager, when it became my chore to get the family meal started for my Mom and Dad before they got home from work, this was one of the first dishes I learned to cook. Of course, I used more canned ingredients back then and less fresh ingredients but my culinary skills have come a long way since 1982. Today, I’m taking his skillet dinner which he started finished in the oven and turning it into a quick and simple meal for my crock pot. This is a favorite in our family for lazy weekends or busy mornings before I head to work. Since it only needs 3 or 4 hours on low, it’s not one to be simmered all day but is perfect for those days you have a list of errands that go on forever.
Hungry for more Burger Recipes? Bite into these:
Want To Try This Recipe?
Pin it to your FOOD AND BEVERAGE OR RECIPE board & SAVE it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning yummy new content!
©Kitchen Dreaming by KitchenDreaming.com
Crock Pot Salisbury steak is as easy as it is delicious. Prep and go, ready when you get home.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, seasoned
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon minced onion flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1 whole white onion, sliced into half moons
- 8 oz sliced fresh mushrooms, any variety
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Mashed potatoes
- Steamed Vegetables
- Combine all the ingredients for the meat mixture and lightly mix with fingertips until just combined. Divide the beef into four 4-ounce patties.
- In a skillet medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil and brown the patties until the are browned on both sides. Remove the patties from the pan and place into the bottom of the crock pot.
- Into the same skillet, add the sliced onions and mushrooms, reducing the heat to medium. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the onions begin to soften. Next, deglaze the pan by adding the beef stock.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup of water. Mix well to form the slurry and set aside.
- Once the beef broth mix comes back up to a simmer, add the cornstarch slurry and stir well. Once the gravy comes to a full boil it will start to thicken. Pour the thickened sauce over the patties.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 hours.
- Suggest serving with mashed potatoes and peas. Garnish with a sprinkling of parsley and chives.
Keywords: slow cooker, crock pot, beef, salisbury steak, dinner