When my Dad came to visit for the Holidays, he brought with him my Mom’s old recipe box. This box contains quite and array of different things. Some recipes are hand written, some are clippings, some were written or clipped by my Mom and some by me.
I showed my husband one recipe card that just had a list of ingredients. No times or temperatures, no instructions. Just a punch list of ingredients with their measurements.
He asked what are you going to do with that? It’s funny because that’s how I make many recipes. Almost in a wing-it fashion but not at all at the same time.
I like to call it organized chaos because, in my mind, the directions to that ingredient list are self-explanatory and stored in my mind. But this is exactly the reason that I created this blog.
To get these recipes written down into a coherent set of recipes and instructions for myself, my family, my friends and followers to read, follow and enjoy.
This is one of the recipes in that box half written down in some vague manner that we’ve been making since at least the 80’s that are pretty similar to a certain Seafood Chain restaurant.
We’ve made them here into mini biscuits and I serve them with Crab Legs Scampi or with New England Clam Chowder or Cheeseburger Macaroni Soup instead of crackers or bread. My family, especially my daughter, loved the mini version of this biscuit and I hope you do as well. Enjoy.
Garlic Cheddar Minis make a great addition to soups and stews. They also pair great with seafood and any dinner you have in mind.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 1 cup milk plus 2 tablespoons of milk, separated
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp roasted garlic powder
- 1 tsp fresh parsley, minced
- 1 green onion, scallion, or chives sliced into fine rings (optional)
- Non fat cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Into a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Then add the melted butter, milk cheese, pepper, garlic powder, parsley and green onions. Stir together just until a soft dough forms and then mix well with a fork for about 30 seconds. The dough will still be slightly sticky.
- Prepare a cooking try or a set of mini cupcake tins with non fat cooking spray, a silicon baking mat or parchment paper. Using a teaspoon or a 1 oz cookie scoop, drop dough by spoonfuls onto the prepared pan(s). Brush the tops of the minis with the remaining 2 tbsp of milk.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. A toothpick inserted into the middle of the largest biscuit should come out clean. If they are still doughy, return them to the oven and bake a few minutes longer.
- Serve warm.
Keywords: how to, garlic, cheddar, biscuits