My Mom and my Nana’s favorite holiday treat was always gingerbread and the recipe they used always included raisins. At first, the raisins were normally put in as is, dry, directly from the box, and in later years, my Mom started soaking them in warm water prior to adding them to the batter to plump them up nice and juicy.
Last year, while I was experimenting with different recipes, I got the notion to plump the raisins up in a little bit of Golden Rum I had up in the liquor cabinet. I have to say that this really added a lot of zing to this recipe!
- family recipe re-invented
- chewy crystallized ginger
- delicate spice balance
- run raisins!!!
- and perfectly delicious
This gingerbread recipe started as a family favorite and has been elevated with the addition of ginger and rum raisins.
- 1/2 cup golden or dark rum, orange juice or water
- 1 cup raisins
- 8 Tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup old-fashioned, unsulphured molasses
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tsp rum extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dried crystallized ginger, minced
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- homemade whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease and line an 8 x 8 inch cake pan with parchment paper. Then lightly oil the parchment. This will make removing the cake from the pan really easy.
- Place the rum, orange juice or water and raisins in a microwave safe cup or bowl. Microwave for 1 minute. Then set aside to cool and plump the raisins.
- Pour the melted butter and molasses into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix in the rum extract and milk.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt together in a small bowl.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture to the molasses mixture and mix only until smooth.
- Drain the raisins and add them along with the crystallized ginger to the mixture. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool completely.
- When the cake has cooled, cut into squares and dust with powdered sugar. Serve with a dollop of fresh whipped cream.
Keywords: how to, bake, gingerbread, with rum, raisins, crystallized ginger