These zesty Memphis Style Barbecue Dry-Rubbed Chicken Wings win big with the home team every time! First I dry rub the chicken wings with a blend of barbecue spices that has some heat and a plenty of flavors. We then serve them with a zesty barbecue sauce that mirrors those same flavors.
I’ve said it before, but my husband’s favorite meal is hot wings, while mine is usually barbecue. So we try to mix up how we prepare our wings. Coating the wings in the dry-rub seasoning adds so much flavor to just barbecue sauce alone.
These zesty Memphis Style Barbecue Dry-Rubbed Chicken Wings can be made in large batches so they are great for parties or gameday.
Need some other quick appetizers? Check these out:
Memphis Style Barbecue Dry-Rubbed Chicken Wings
For the Dry Rub Seasoning:
- 3 Tbsp sweet paprika
- 1.5 Tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (pinch)
For the Chicken:
- 4 lbs chicken wing sections
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Line baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup. Top baking sheet with baking rack/ovenproof cooling rack and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine all dry rub seasonings in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Add half of the Rub to a large freezer bag. Add half of the wings and shake until coated evenly. Line wings on a prepared baking rack so they are not touching. Add remaining Dry Rub and wings to the freezer bag and repeat the process.
- Bake on the upper middle rack for 40-45 minutes. Then, move the oven rack to approximately 6-8" from broiler and broil to desired crispiness (watch them closely so they don't burn!). Turn the chicken over and broil the other side until crispy.
- Serve with either a Vinegar style hot sauce or, as we did here, a spicy BBQ sauce made using some reserved dry rub.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy, and is sourced from the USDA Food Database.