This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Disclosure Policy .
Rum Raisin — It’s a favorite ice cream of mine but I cannot find it anywhere! Well, except as dessert one night on my last cruise. And I couldn’t even get a whole scoop just a stingy little 2 tablespoon taste as a side to the main dessert. Stingy cruise ship — you know who you are!
I always, ALWAYS try for a larger scoop with my server — it NEVER works. Oh, the disappointment!
Now I can make my own adult version of Rum Raisin Ice Cream at home. Yep, read that again…. I. CAN. MAKE. MY. OWN! (Hoo-ray!)
Rum raisin ice cream was also my Mom’s favorite and I can only ever remember having a carton of it at home a couple of times. Either it was just not available or she was REALLY good at hiding her ice cream. Damn brussel sprouts bag, were you her accomplice? Grrrrrr!
Well, that doesn’t matter now because this is so easy to make. All you need is a stand or electric hand mixer and you are ready to go. If you prefer not to soak the raisins in the dark rum (ack!), you can omit it but truthfully, it is the best part of this recipe. It tastes just like the cartons Mom would get. MMMMmmmmm!
Like my other no-churn ice creams we’ve made… Everything but My Blue Suede Shoes (peanut butter, banana and Bacon) and the Cherry-Almond, the base is smooth and silky just like you’d imagine frozen whipped cream to be and taste. My daughter can’t have this one because of the alcohol in the raisins but so far she’s loved all the other flavor combinations we’ve whipped up together.
This can be made with a stand or simple hand held electric mixer.
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 (14-ounce) can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 tsp imitation rum flavoring
- About 15 minutes prior, soak the raisins in the dark rum. I gently heat mine in the microwave for 30 seconds to speed things along.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the cream, condensed milk, and imitation rum extract in a large bowl on medium-high until stiff peaks form, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Drain the excess rum off the raisins and discard. Gently fold in the raisins, reserving some for the topping. Mix until incorporated.
- Spoon the cream mixture into a 4 1/2- by 8 1/2-inch loaf pan or 1 1/2-quart freezer-safe container.
- Sprinkle the reserved raisins on top. Freeze until set, at least 4 hours.
- Once set, cover with plastic wrap and freeze for up to 2 weeks.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: no churn, ice cream, rum raisin, dark rum, homemade, msg free, recipe, how to make, electric, mixer, stand mixer, dessert, without ice cream maker, easy,