This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Disclosure Policy .
Oven Fried Chicken has all of the crispy, juicy flavor of a classic fried chicken recipe but without the added fat from frying. This Oven Fried Chicken is tender, juicy, flavorful, and always a family favorite!
Oven Fried Chicken is tender, juicy and delicious – and you read that right! It’s baked in the oven rather than fried! Who needs all that extra fat? I’m all about baking over frying so this is good news! (Stay tuned for a new AIR FRYER version of this delicious chicken!)
Looking for more chicken recipes? Check these out:
Want To Try This Recipe?
Oven Fried Chicken has all of the crispy, juicy flavors of a classic fried chicken recipe but without the added fat from frying. This Oven Fried Chicken is tender, juicy, flavorful, and always a family favorite!
- 12 – 16 pieces of chicken; any combination of breasts, thighs and/or drumsticks
- 8 cups water
- 1/3 cup salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp hot or regular paprika
- 1 tbsp Poultry seasoning (which contains marjoram, sage, ginger and rosemary among others)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- Dissolve salt into water and add chicken. Cover and allow to marinate for 2 hours. Then remove the chicken from the brine, rinse it well and pat dry.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and then whisk in the buttermilk.
- In a separate bowl or shallow dish, combine all the dry ingredients to make the coating mix.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- While the oven preheats, dip each piece of chicken into the egg mixture and then toss to coat in the breading until very well coated. Allow the chicken to rest for a minute or 2 in the breading mix for the coating to set up. Shake off any excess breading mix and arrange onto a well oiled cooking sheet.
- After all the chicken is coated, spray each piece with some vegetable oil or non-fat cooking spray. This helps the coating crisp up in the oven but can be skipped. Overall, this process *might* use 1 tablespoon of oil for the entire batch of chicken.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until the chicken is well browned, the internal temperature is 160°F and the juices run clear.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 pc
- Calories: 138
- Sugar: 0.9 g
- Sodium: 200 mg
- Fat: 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.2 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 19.3 g
- Cholesterol: 85 mg
Keywords: oven, fried, chicken, baked, chicken