Looking for more mussel recipes? Check these out:
- Thai Green Curry Mussels
- Peruvian Style Mussels
Pasta with White Wine & Mussels
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 lbs mussels
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoons butter , melted, unsalted
- 1 tablespoons olive oil extra-virgin
- 2 large garlic cloves , thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice fresh
- 12 ounces spaghetti , linguine or your favorite pasta
- 1/2 cup peas fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp Salt more or less to taste
- 0.5 tsp ground pepper more or less to taste
- parsley fresh - chopped, for garnish
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the spaghetti according to package instructions. Drain the pasta well.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, combine the wine with the bay leaves and bring to a boil. Add the mussels, cover and cook over high heat, shaking the pan a few times, until the mussels open, about 5 minutes. Drain the mussels in a colander set over a medium bowl, reserving the broth.
- Discard any unopened mussels and the bay leaves.
- Next, heat the extra-virgin olive oil in the skillet. Add the thinly sliced garlic and cook over low heat just until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Add the crushed red pepper and cook for 1 minute longer. Slowly pour in the reserved mussel broth, stopping if you reach any sand at the bottom of the bowl. Add the lemon juice and peas and simmer over moderately high heat until the sauce is reduced to about 1 cup, about 8 minutes.
- Pour the melted butter over the mussels and toss to coat.
- Add the buttered mussels to the hot spaghetti and mussel sauce and toss over low heat until the pasta is uniformly coated. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to warmed shallow bowls and serve at once. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy, and is sourced from the USDA Food Database.