Pasta with White Wine & Mussels is a quick and easy go to meal for lunch or dinner. Mussels are inexpensive so this meal wont cost you at the register.
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 lbs mussels
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 12 ounces spaghetti, linguine or your favorite pasta
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Freshly ground pepper
- fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the spaghetti according to package instructions. Drain the pasta well.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, combine the wine with the bay leaves and bring to a boil. Add the mussels, cover and cook over high heat, shaking the pan a few times, until the mussels open, about 5 minutes. Drain the mussels in a colander set over a medium bowl, reserving the broth.
- Discard any unopened mussels and the bay leaves.
- Next, heat the extra-virgin olive oil in the skillet. Add the thinly sliced garlic and cook over low heat just until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Add the crushed red pepper and cook for 1 minute longer. Slowly pour in the reserved mussel broth, stopping if you reach any sand at the bottom of the bowl. Add the lemon juice and peas and simmer over moderately high heat until the sauce is reduced to about 1 cup, about 8 minutes.
- Pour the melted butter over the mussels and toss to coat.
- Add the buttered mussels to the hot spaghetti and mussel sauce and toss over low heat until the pasta is uniformly coated. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to warmed shallow bowls and serve at once. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Keywords: pasta with white wine and mussels, recipe, how to make, msg free, family friendly, budget friendly, how to cook,