This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Disclosure Policy .
Pineapple upside-down cake starts with a simple yellow cake which is inverted after baking to reveal caramelized butter and brown sugar coating golden pineapples and cherries. Top with fresh whipped cream for a classic dessert. These individual cakes are great for dinner parties and bake sales.
Upside-down fruit cakes have been a staple in American homes since the early 1900’s. My favorite is Pineapple upside-down cake which is simply a basic yellow cake which is inverted after baking to reveal a glistening sheen of caramelized butter and brown sugar coating golden pineapple and maraschino cherries. It’s got my mouth watering just thinking about it.
Traditionally, my Mom made her Pineapple Upside-Down Cake in a rectangular 9 x 13″ pan which she would invert onto a platter. Squares would then be cut around each pineapple slice so that each person got their own slice. I prefer to make mine individualized in a mini bundt cake pan. My pan has larger wells so the recipe fits into 6 wells forming 6 individual cakes.
This recipe is especially good with a dollop of homemade whipped cream. I also have a more tropical variation, Pina Colada Cakes, that I’ll share in the coming weeks.
LOOKING FOR MORE PINEAPPLE RECIPES?
Want To Try This Recipe?
Pin it to your FOOD AND BEVERAGE OR RECIPE board & SAVE it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning yummy new content!
©Kitchen Dreaming by KitchenDreaming.com
Individual Pineapple Upside-Down Cakes
- 6-well mini bundt pan
- 6 tbsp butter - , melted
- 6 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 6 slices pineapple fresh or canned - , drained
- 1 1/3 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 egg
- 6 cherries
- 16 oz whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Into a mini-bundt cake pan with 6 wells, evenly distribute the butter. Sprinkle 1 tbsp of brown sugar evenly over melted butter in each of the 6 wells.
- Arrange pineapple slices over brown sugar. It should just fit into the well.
- In a bowl, beat the remaining ingredients with electric mixer on medium-high speed for about 3 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally. Divide and pour batter over the pineapple.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Immediately place a serving plate upside down over the pan; turn plate and pan over. Leave pan over cake a few minutes so brown sugar mixture can drizzle over cake; remove pan. Serve warm topped with a cherry and a dollop of fresh whipped cream.
- Refrigerate any leftover portions.
- Nutrition is calculated based on the recipe as written. Additions, omissions, or substitutions will change the calculated values shown. The addition, omission, or substitution of ingredients will alter the nutritional information shown. Nutrition percentages are based on a 2000-calorie diet. The FDA recommends 80 micrograms of vitamin K.
Follow along on Social Media
DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE RATE THIS RECIPE & SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS WITH US!
We appreciate your comments on our recipes. Your feedback helps me create better recipes and helps other readers as well!
Follow along on Social Media
This post was last updated on