This quick and easy Italian Saltimbocca is served on a bed of wilted Spinach and creamy polenta and is on the dinner table in about 30-minutes. Easy enough for a weeknight meal yet elegant enough for dinner guests.
Saltimbocca is a Mediterranean dish that originated in Italy and can be traced back to Roman Times. While veal is the meat traditionally used in making this dish, any meat can be used.
Prosciutto is then wrapped around the meat with a sage leaf tucked underneath. For our dish, we used thick cut boneless center-cut pork chops topped with fontina cheese and then finished it off in the oven. The end result was nothing short of delicious.
It is no wonder that Saltimbocca means “to jump in the mouth” in Italian. This version of Saltimbocca with wilted Spinach and Polenta is on the table in just over 30-minutes and the flavors are fully satisfying.
Pork Chops Saltimbocca
- 32 ounce boneless center-cut pork chops 4 7 to 8 oz chops that are 3/4 inch thick
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 large sage leaves
- 4 to 8 thin slices prosciutto , to taste
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 slices Provolone , Mozzarella or Fontina cheese
- 1 pound kale or spinach
- Juice of 1 lemon , plus wedges for serving
- 1 large shallot , finely chopped, or 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 425 °F. Season the pork with salt and pepper. Top each chop with a sage leaf, then wrap in 1 or 2 slices prosciutto.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chops, sage-side down, and cook, turning once, until the prosciutto is crisp, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a baking sheet, reserving the skillet, and roast until a thermometer inserted sideways into the center of a chop registers 145 °F, about 8 minutes.
- Top each with a slice of cheese; return to the oven until the cheese melts, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the spinach or kale in a microwave-safe bowl; add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon water and a pinch of salt. Microwave (covered or uncovered) until wilted, 3-5 minutes; drain. Drizzle with half of the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the reserved skillet over medium heat; add the shallot and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 minutes.
- Add the broth and simmer until reduced by half. Stir in the remaining lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the pork among plates; drizzle with the shallot sauce. Serve atop creamy polenta and lemon wedges.