Braised Cube Steaks with Onion & Mushroom Gravy
- 4 pieces cube steak, usually top round
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 lb button or baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef stock
- Stir together flour, salt, and black pepper on a large plate. Dredge both sides of each cube steak in flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- Add one tablespoon each of oil and butter to Dutch oven or large skillet and place over medium high heat. When oil hot, add cube steaks two at a time and cook until golden brown, about two minutes on each side. Remove cube steaks to a plate and set aside. Repeat with remaining two cube steaks, adding more oil and butter if necessary.
- Turn heat to medium-high, and when oil shimmers, add onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is caramelized, about three minutes.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and beef stock stirring with a spoon to scrape up and bits from the bottom and deglazing the pan. Stir well, then add cube steaks, nestling them into the sauce as much as possible. Cover dutch oven and place on low to simmer until the steaks are very tender, about 45 minutes. Suggest to serve over mashed potatoes, rice or egg noodles to soak up the rich gravy.