She stuck around while I fussed with the dough trying to get it into a shape that at least somewhat resembled a circle. Lucky for me, my daughter asked if we could make a “heart-shaped” pizza. This was an idea I was all for! “Sweet,” I thought – “lucked out on that one.” Into the oven it went and when it was ready, it was indeed just as delicious as my daughter had predicted.
Since Kale is considered to be very nutrient rich with numerous health benefits, I try to work it into as many meals a week as possible. This very well may be my new favorite way to slip even more kale into my kids’ diets. Enjoy!
Chourico & Onion Pizza with Kale Pesto
- 2 cups water
- 8 oz cleaned, stemmed, and chopped kale
- 3 tablespoons almonds, toasted and divided
- 1/8 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or more depending on consistency
- 1 pizza dough, store bought or homemade
- 8 oz chourico (Portuguese dry cured sausage - not Mexican Chorizo) sliced into rounds
- 1/2 onion. diced
- 2 cups fresh mozzarella cheese, shredded
- crushed red pepper, to taste, optional
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add kale; cook 1 minute. Drain and plunge kale into ice water. Drain; squeeze excess liquid from kale.
- Place kale, almonds, Parmesan cheese, and garlic in a food processor. Process until chopped. Add lemon juice, and salt; pulse until combined. With processor on, slowly drizzle in the olive oil; blend well. If it is a little too dry add either a little more olive oil or 1 tablespoon of water until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Meanwhile in a small skillet, lightly saute the chourico and onions. Then set aside while you roll out the dough.
- Roll out a pizza dough to the desired shape and thickness. Spread pesto over pizza dough. Top evenly with cheese and then chourico and onions. Bake at 450° for 15 to 20 minutes or until crust is browned. Enjoy!
Serving Size 1 slice
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 19.2 g
Saturated Fat 7.2 g
Cholesterol 30 mg
Sodium 516 mg
Total Carbohydrates 9.3 g
Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
Sugars 1.5 g
Protein 18.7 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.