Fried Green Tomato BLT
- 3 or 4 large firm green tomatoes, cut into 1/4 inch rings
- Salt and ground black pepper (to season the tomato rings)
- Vegetable or canola oil, for frying
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup corn meal
- Bacon, peppered (optional) and cooked
- Mayo, sandwich spread, or ranch dressing
- romaine lettuce, washed and dried
- Your favorite bread, rolls, or bagels
- hot sauce, optional
- Preheat oven to 250 °F.
- Lay the tomatoes out and sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal cayenne and garlic powder and set aside.
- In a skillet, heat the oil for deep-frying over medium-high heat.
- Dredge the tomatoes into flour and corn meal mixture, then dip them into the egg mixture and then dredge them again into the flour mixture. Shake off excess flour. Fry tomato slices in the skillet until golden brown on both sides.
- To keep them warm an crispy, after removing the tomatoes from the oil, place them on a cookie sheet inset with a cooling rack to drain, and place in the heated oven. This will allow the grease to drain and will keep the tomatoes hot and crunchy.
- To serve, toast the bread and slather one side of each piece with chipolte mayonnaise or ranch dressing. Layer in romaine lettuce, fried green tomatoes and bacon. My husband also adds a dash of hot sauce to his sandwiches. We served ours with a side of veggie chips.