This quick and easy Garden Vegetable Rice is a favorite side dish for our family dinners. We can use any fresh or frozen vegetables we have on hand and tailor it to fit the flavors or style of our meal plan. In this photo, I’ve paired it with my baked Lemon chicken. No fake lemon flavored season salt here, friends! This Roasted Lemon Chicken (recipe coming soon) is roasted with fresh lemons which flavors the meat.
Ordinarily, we also add peas and fresh green beans from the garden. In the summer we add fresh zucchini and summer (yellow) squash. It’s such a versatile dish and an easy way to get an extra serving of vegetables into my daughter. We serve this with our main course and either a fresh garden salad or another saute of vegetables like asparagus or a roasted vegetables like cauliflower.
For an added brightness, I like to add a squeeze of fresh lemon on ours just before serving.
Garden Vegetable Rice
This quick and easy Garden Vegetable Rice is a favorite side dish for our family dinners. We can use any fresh or frozen vegetables we have on hand and tailor it to fit the flavors or style of our meal plan. It's a very simple dish using ingredients probably already in your pantry.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup white rice, uncooked
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced small or 1/2 cup frozen diced carrots
- 1/2 cup organic whole kernel corn, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup organic green peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup organic broccoli cut into small florets, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 tbsp organic fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, more or less as needed
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Add olive oil into the bottom of a large saucepan and heat over medium-high heat. Add rice and garlic; cook 3 minutes or until garlic is fragrant. Stir frequently.
- Add broth, vegetables, parsley, and salt to the pan and bring to boil. Cover skillet with a tight-fitting lid, reduce the heat to low and cook 18 minutes or until rice is tender.