Welcome to our site.
Well, my husband and I entered a recipe contest and set out to create a recipe for a savory cupcake. Our challenge: when people think of Charleston what comes to mind? I mean, “What says ‘Charleston?”‘ We decided we should recreate what seems to be Charleston’s most famous and often sought after dish, Shrimp and Grits, into the form of a savory cupcake.Why are shrimp and grits so popular in Charleston? Well, Charleston is a sea port full of creeks and marshes teeming with fresh, local shrimp so it came as a natural connection. The Lowcountry locals I have asked all grew up eating shrimp and grits for breakfast. However, more recently shrimp and grits has evolved into a fine dining experience craved by both tourists and locals alike and can be found at all times of day and night.
Savory Shrimp and Grits Cupcakes
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 1 cup stone ground grits, prepared per package instructions
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup milk
- 8 oz cream cheese, whipped
- 6 oz Tasso Ham
- 12 grilled or roasted shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Preheat oven to 400 ° F.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add eggs, melted butter, cheese, scallions and milk until just combined.
- The dough will be VERY sticky. This is normal. Drop by spoonfuls into lightly greased muffin tins.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown
- Grind tasso ham in a food processor until finely chopped. Cream together the cream cheese and the ham. Put a dollop of tasso ham mousse on top of each cupcake and top with one grilled or roasted shrimp. Best served warm.
We found that leftover grits or grits which had come to room temperature worked the best.