Spanish Chicken and Rice Pilaf
Yield 8 pc
This wonderfully flavorful Spanish Chicken is on the table in 30 minutes.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup broken pieces thin spaghetti
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup peas and carrots blend
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- 1/3 pound cured chorizo or linguica, casings removed, sliced 1 inch thick
- 8 chicken thighs
- 4 small onions, quartered lengthwise with the roots intact
- 2 small lemons, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup pimiento-stuffed green olives
- 6 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons Spanish (sweet) paprika
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (optional)
- 1/2 fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- In a large saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the pasta and toast for 3 minutes. Stir in the rice to coat. Add 2 cups chicken stock and bring to a boil, then cover the pot, lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes; fluff with a fork. (If the rice sticks near the end of the cooking time, add a splash more stock.) Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large, deep skillet with a tight-fitting lid, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil, over medium heat. Add the chorizo or linguica and cook until browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Season the chicken with pepper and salt and add to the pan drippings. Cook over medium heat, until browned, about 12- 15 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet. Add the onions, season with salt and pepper and cook, tossing frequently. Add the lemons, olives, garlic,and paprika; cook, stirring frequently, for about 2 minutes. Add the wine (optional) and cook, scraping up the browned bits from the pan. Stir in the remaining 1 cup chicken stock.
- Return the chicken and chorizo (or linguica) to the skillet, cover the pan, lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Transfer everything to a platter except for the sauce. Simmer the sauce for a minute over high heat to reduce slightly and then stir in the remaining butter and garnish with parsley. Pour the sauce over the chicken. Serve with the rice pilaf.
Serving Size 1 pc
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 28.5 g
Saturated Fat 9.6 g
Cholesterol 16 mg
Sodium 1057 mg
Total Carbohydrates 45 g
Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
Sugars 9.7 g
Protein 54.2 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.