I’ve mentioned before that my family is full of very hearty eaters. I find that making fresh meals instead of buying pre-packaged food is much more economical for us. Recently my oldest son asked me if I would pick him up a package of the frozen broccoli and cheese stuffed chicken breast for a “snack”. These entrees are usually found in the frozen food section of your grocer’s freezer and cost about $12 for 4 – 6 oz chicken portions stuffed with broccoli, cheese and then rolled in bread crumbs and flash fried. This is a very expensive “snack” for the average family and really eats more like a meal.
Broccoli Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms, optional
- 1 ½ cup crushed Cheez-It® crackers or plain fresh bread crumbs
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups Alfredo sauce, homemade or jarred
- 4 boneless chicken breast pounded thin
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Combine broccoli, mushrooms, cheddar cheese, 1 cup Cheez-It® and 1 cup Alfredo sauce. Spread remaining ¾ cup Alfredo sauce in bottom of a square baking dish.
- Coat both sides of chicken with mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Place 1/3 cup broccoli mixture in center of chicken, tuck in sides then roll chicken, making sure all the stuffing is covered.
- Sprinkle with additional Cheez-It® crackers and place seam side down in baking dish. Add any remaining broccoli mixture around the chicken in pan.
- Bake 40 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.