This Chicken Burrito Skillet combines chicken, pasta, black beans, and salsa together with classic Mexican spices and takes just 20 minutes to prepare.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts and/or thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup sweet onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free taco seasoning
- 1 can (15 oz ) Black Beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 cups Organic Salsa, regular, mild or hot
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3 cups (12 oz), Barilla Gluten-Free Penne Pasta, uncooked
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese blend plus extra for garnish
- Chopped cilantro, optional garnish
- Fresh Avocado, peeled, pitted and diced, optional garnish
- fresh lime, optional garnish
- sour cream for garnish (make sure to verify a gluten-free brand)
- Black olives for garnish (make sure to verify a gluten-free brand)
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add onion and taco seasoning; cook 2 minutes more. Stir in black beans, salsa and water. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in pasta. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 10 to 12 minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese. To serve, sprinkle top with remaining cheese, cilantro, avocado, and sour cream, if desired.
Recipe variations: Try sautéing diced bell peppers or jalapeños along with onions. Mix in frozen corn in the last 5 minutes of cooking. Substitute ground beef or ground turkey for chicken. Skip the cheese for a lighter version.
Keywords: gluten-free, chicken, burrito, skillet, mexican