Chicken Vegetable Soup with Couscous
Chicken Vegetable Soup with Couscous is quick and easy and made for a quick weeknight meal by using left over chicken.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced small
- 1 lb medium carrots, cut into thin slices
- 1 large celery stalk, diced small
- 1 cup spring peas, frozen
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and cubed or shredded
- 4 cups (1 quart) chicken stock, homemade or low-sodium store-bought
- 1/2 cup couscous, orzo or small pasta
- 8 oz bag of pre-cleaned baby spinach
- 1 lb zucchini, washed and diced
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- In a Dutch oven or stock pot, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, carrot and celery, and saute for 2 minutes, or until the vegetables soften.
- Add the cooked chicken and the chicken stock to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook, partially covered, for 15 minutes. Stir in the couscous and frozen spring peas, and continue simmering for 10 minutes, until the couscous is cooked and the peas are tender.
- Stir in the spinach and zucchini, and add garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. If you've used store-bought stock, you might not need much salt, if any. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove the pot from heat. Serve hot, or allow to cool completely and refrigerate or freeze.
Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 1.3 g
Cholesterol 43 mg
Sodium 712 mg
Total Carbohydrates 24.9 g
Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
Sugars 8.8 g
Protein 20.5 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.