The secret to these crispy oven bakes wings is Baking powder, which draws water from the surface and give a crispier baked skin.
- 4 lb chicken wings, split
- 4 tsp baking powder (1 tsp pound of wings)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Cooking Oil spray
- Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions.
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Line a baking pan with foil, then place a rack (like a cooling rack ) on the foil. Spray the rack with cooking oil spray. This makes for quick clean up.
- Place wings in a large bowl or in a zip top bag. Add the baking powder and salt, then toss to coat evenly. I find a zip top is easiest for this with less mess.
- Place the wings on the baking tray in a single layer with the skin side up. They will fit snugly.
- Place wings on the lower middle oven rack and bake for 30 minutes.
- Move wings up to the upper middle rack and increase the oven temperature to 425°F.
- Bake for 40 – 50 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through.
- Remove baking pan from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Toss wings in your favorite sauce and serve.
Like when smoking chicken, you can uncover the chicken wings and leave them in the fridge for a few hours to dry out for a few hours or up to overnight. However, I’ve found that laying them out on a cooking tray lined with paper towels and then patting the tops dry works equally as well.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Crispy Baked Chicken Wings, Baking powder, Appetizer, lunch, party wing recipe. football, Super Bowl party, homemade, MSG free, Family friendly,