These Loaded Ham and Cheese Breakfast Biscuits are a fast family favorite because they are easy to make and portable, which make them the perfect grab and go breakfast – especially when we travel.
- 2–1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp butter, melted (divided) [See Note 1]
- 1 pound cubed ham
- 3 green onions, chopped (green part only)
- 4 eggs scrambled [See Note 2]
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese [See Note 3]
- 2/3 cup milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp butter, melted [See Note 1]
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a non-stick skillet, add the beaten eggs into the pan and cook to a soft scramble. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Then add the cheese and milk. With a spoon, stir the mixture until all the flour is incorporated and a slightly sticky dough forms. Add the diced ham, green onions and cheese. Mix well.
- Now add the scrambled eggs and fold to combine.
- With a spoon, floured hands or an ice cream scoop, drop biscuits into the buttered cast iron skillet or sheet pan making sure the biscuits touch sides for higher rising.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until biscuits are lightly golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Brush the tops of the hot biscuits with melted butter. Serve warm.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator. [See Note 4]
- Use 2 tbsp melted butter to oil the cast iron pan and the other 2 tbsp melted butter to brush the tops of the biscuits after they are finished baking.
- If you do not wish to add eggs, these may be omitted completely without consequence or substitution.
- If you do not have gruyere cheese you may substitute for plain Swiss, fontina, Gouda, or provolone. I like cheddar, too, but prefer these cheeses paired with the ham.
- These biscuits reheat well in the microwave. I generally use about 15-20 seconds on normal power.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: ham, cheese, breakfast, biscuit