My daughter likes Spaghettios and I will admit that, back in the day when I was a kid, I liked them, too. I’m not too fond of them myself these days – it seems to me like the flavor has changed, but my daughter continually asks from them at the store.
Since we are trying to get away from pre-packaged food I set out to make her some without the high fructose corn syrup and other ingredients lurking in her lunchbox.
Homemade Spaghettios are the best of both worlds for us. She gets to make homemade spaghettios and I get to control the ingredients.
For this homemade spaghettios recipe, I was able to find the round pasta mimicing the traditional SpaghettiOs shape, but you can easily substitute whatever small pasta shape you have on hand, like ditalini or macaroni “elbows”.
I don’t know what it is about those little pasta O’s in that mildly sweet tomato sauce that is so irresistible–but it is!
Since school is starting back for my daughter next week, I wanted to make some of these for my daughter’s lunchbox.
She isn’t much of a sandwich eater so we thought some pasta would be perfect for her. I might even try my hand at some tiny meatballs in the near future. I know she would really like that a lot.
This quick and easy recipe for homemade Spaghettios can be made in 30 minutes or less and is sure to please your family.
- 15 oz can organic tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp milk or water
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 tbsp sugar or other sweetener like agave, Stevia or honey
- 1 cup uncooked mini pasta of choice
- In a small saucepan, add together all ingredients except the pasta then bring to a boil, over medium high heat.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook on low until the butter melts completely.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Once boiling, add the pasta and cook until desired texture is reached remembering that the pasta will further soften as it absorbs the sauce.
- Drain pasta extra well and pour into the sauce. Stir to combine.
When reheating any leftovers, simply stir in a dash of milk if needed to loosen the sauce.
Keywords: Homemade Spaghettios recipe, Spaghettios copy cat recipe, home made, kid friendly, lunch time, tomato sauce, 30 minute meals, pasta