This quick and easy recipe for homemade Spaghettios can be made in under 30-minutes and is sure to please your family. Lower in sugar than traditional spaghettios, this wholesome dish is a great lunch or snack and can be made gluten-free by swapping out the pasta for gluten-free pasta.
My daughter likes Spaghettios and I will admit that, back in the day when I was a kid, I liked them, too. I’m not too fond of them myself these days – it seems to me like the flavor has changed, but my daughter continually asks from them at the store.
Since we are trying to get away from pre-packaged food I set out to make her some without the high fructose corn syrup and other ingredients lurking in her lunchbox.
Homemade Spaghettios are the best of both worlds for us. She gets to make homemade spaghettios and I get to control the ingredients.
For this homemade spaghettios recipe, I was able to find the round pasta mimicking the traditional SpaghettiOs shape, but you can easily substitute whatever small pasta shape you have on hand, like ditalini or macaroni.
I don’t know what it is about those little pasta O’s in that mildly sweet tomato sauce that is so irresistible–but it is!
Since school is starting back for my daughter next week, I wanted to make some of these for my daughter’s lunchbox.
She isn’t much of a sandwich eater so we thought some pasta would be perfect for her. I might even try my hand at some mini-meatballs in the near future. I know she would really like that a lot.
LOOKING FOR MORE PASTA RECIPES?
Want To Try This Recipe?
Pin it to your FOOD AND BEVERAGE OR RECIPE board & SAVE it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning yummy new content!
©Kitchen Dreaming by KitchenDreaming.com
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp milk or water
- 1/2 tsp onion powder , more or less to taste
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder , more or less to taste
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt , more or less to taste
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 tbsp sugar or other sweetener like agave , Stevia or honey [See Note 1]
- 1 cup uncooked Anelli Siciliani pasta , or mini shells or elbows if rings are not available.
- 1 cup organic mini meatballs, thawed optional, (we buy these at Target freezer section)
- In a small saucepan, add together all ingredients except the pasta then bring to a boil, over medium-high heat.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook on low until the butter melts completely.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Once boiling, add the pasta and cook until desired texture is reached remembering that the pasta will further soften as it absorbs the sauce.
- Drain pasta extra well and pour into the sauce. Stir to combine.
- Traditional spaghetti-o have a lot more added sugar and high fructose corn syrup added. To make them sweeter and more like the canned version, increase your sweetener of choice until you reach your desired sweetness.
- When reheating any leftovers, simply stir in a dash of milk or water, if needed, to loosen the sauce.