I have to admit, this one pot penne is a go-to dish in my house. My daughter is a pasta lover so I make this weekly. It’s the one meal, I know she will always eat – and ask for seconds! Ready in just about 15 minutes, it’s a must-try for people on the go. I think what we like best about it is that we can substitute any of the ingredients to create endless flavor combinations. This one pot penne is Creole inspired but it can certainly be made into an Italian or Greek inspired one-pot meal with just a few simple changes.
The best thing about these one pot meals is that it makes it’s own cheesy sauce as it simmers. Once the pasta is done, the entire dish is ready to eat. Serve it with a side salad and you’ve got a meal in just 15 minutes. This keeps us on track and on-time for our next activity and is especially welcome after a long day at work. We use Amylu’s or Aidelle’s Chicken sausages for our meals. They are delicious and are gluten and nitrate free. Amylu Chicken Sausages are also made from chicken that is antibiotic free. We buy Amylu brand at Costco but they may be available in other locations, so look for it! Aidelle’s Sausages are found in most grocery stores as well as Walmart grocery. They are kept with the hot dogs and other sausages. Because of delicious products like these, this dish can be made gluten-free and nitrate free. I like mine garnished with a quick squeeze of fresh lemon, it really heightens this dish with another layer of brightness.
Love pasta? Check out these Pasta and Sauce Recipes:
- Spaghetti with Clams and Tomatoes
- Homemade Alfredo Sauce
- Sausage and Pasta Skillet
- Loaded Pasta Carbonara
- 1-lb fully cooked andouille sausage, Amylu’s and Aidelle’s are gluten and nitrate free
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 8 fresh mushrooms, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups (15oz can) Chicken Stock plus 1/2 can (1 cup) water
- 2 bell peppers, seeded, quartered and sliced; red, yellow or green
- 3 cups penne pasta (about half a box); regular, whole wheat or gluten free
- 2 cups (8-oz bag) shredded pepper jack, Monterrey jack, or Colby jack cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded or finely grated, plus a little more for garnish, if desired
- 2 cups fresh spinach (about 1 big handful)
- 1 tbsp Creole seasoning
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh lemon wedges, optional
- To a medium pot over medium heat, add sausage, onions, garlic and mushrooms. Cook until the onions are slightly tender and translucent; about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the pasta, chicken stock, water, bell peppers, cheese, and spices. Stir to combine. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes. remove the lid and cook until the pasta reaches al dente (or your desired tenderness). Remove from the heat and add the spinach. Stir to combine,re-cover and allow the spinach to wilt, about 2 minutes.
- Garnish with extra grated Parmesan and a squeeze of fresh lemon, if desired.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg