Pub Style Bacon Cheeseburger Soup is an entire meal in one glorious bowl. Hot peppers combined with the richness of the cheese base is really delicious.
- 6 slices of bacon
- 2 lbs ground beef, lean
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) salted butter
- 3/4 cup hot cherry peppers, diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted garlic powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock, store-bought or homemade
- 1 12-ounce bottle dark ale, or your favorite brew
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 16 ounces aged cheddar, grated
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup Kosher Dill pickles, chopped
- 2 hamburger buns, buttered and toasted for croutons, optional garnish
- In a skillet, cook the bacon over medium high heat until it is very crisp. Remove from pan and drain on a paper towel. Once it cools, crumble it and set it aside.
- Meanwhile. in a large stockpot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, continuously stirring, until the roux turns a very light blonde in color, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, beer and half-and-half and bring to a simmer, whisking often, over medium-low heat for about 15 minutes until you notice the sauce has finished thickening and coats the back of a spoon.
- While the soup base is thickening, brown the ground beef and onion in a pan. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Once cooked, thoroughly drain the fat and set aside.
- When the soup base has finished thickening, add the cheddar cheese shreds to the base sauce, whisking until smooth. Next, add the Worcestershire, salt and black pepper (to taste) and mustard stirring to combine. Taste and adjust flavors to your liking by adding more mustard, Worcestershire, salt and/or pepper. Then add, the bacon, ground beef mixture, dill pickles and hot pickled peppers.
- Garnish with some reserved dill pickle chips, bacon crumbles, shredded cheese, raw diced onions and croutons, if desired.
If you are not into drinking or cooking with beer, feel free to omit it from this dish.
- Category: soup, stew, dinner
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: how to, bacon, cheeseburger, soup