As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Disclosure Policy .
Enjoy the flavors of fall with this EASY-to-prepare NO-BAKE Pumpkin Dessert: Pumpkin Pie Pudding! Gluten-Free, low-fat, low carb, and low sodium – this creamy pudding boasts all the flavors of pumpkin pie without the crust!
Creating the flavors of pumpkin pie without the crust makes this recipe Gluten-Free but also significantly reduced the fat and calories. More than that, it makes this recipe low fat, low-sugar, low carb, low sodium and Lacto-Ovo vegetarian (vegetarians who also include eggs and dairy in their diets). This is great news for those people on your guest list who may have special dietary needs. With some ingredient swaps, this recipe can also be made vegan.
What are the ingredients of Pumpkin Pie Pudding?
- Pumpkin puree – I use organic canned pumpkin which is not the same as the one labeled pumpkin pie filling.
- vanilla extract – I only recommend pure vanilla extract. The flavor is amazing as compared to imitation Vanilla (not pictured).
- Pumpkin Pie seasoning – Homemade from spices already in your pantry – why pay twice for these ingredients?
- Milk, Low Fat (1%) – may also use skim, 2%, or whole. Recipe may also work with almond milk or soy milk for vegan.
- Egg – used as a thickener and cooks in the pudding base on the stove top. Could possibly substitute chia seeds for vegan.
- Cornstarch – just enough to thicken the pudding and give it that creamy mouth-feel.
- Sugar – you may also substitute your favorite honey, Stevia, Splenda (for baking), maple syrup, or agave.
- Salt – just a pinch. This brightens the flavors on your palate (not pictured).
- Fresh whipped cream – fresh tastes best and it’s SO EASY to make. Guests are always impressed with freshly whipped cream. Omit for vegan.
- Toasted walnuts – See Kitchen Tip below.
- Nutmeg – freshly shaved is amazing but a dash of extra pumpkin pie spice tastes great, too.
How Do I make Pumpkin Pie Pudding from scratch?
Combine sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
In a separate bowl or large measuring cup, combine milk and egg, whisking to incorporate. Gradually add milk mixture to sugar mixture, stirring constantly, and bring to a boil. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and set aside.
Combine pumpkin, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, and salt in a bowl. Stir until combined.
Slowly add pumpkin mixture to milk mixture, whisking constantly.
Place pan over low heat, and cook for about 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring constantly (do not boil).
Divide pudding evenly among 4 dessert bowls.
Chill until ready to serve.
To Serve: Top with a dollop of Freshly whipped cream, toasted walnuts, and a light sprinkling of freshly shaved nutmeg.
Want To Try This Pumpkin Pie Pudding Recipe?
Pin it to your FOOD AND BEVERAGE OR RECIPE board & SAVE it for later!
Find me on Pinterest – I am always pinning quick & easy new recipes!
©Kitchen Dreaming by KitchenDreaming.com
Pumpkin Pie Pudding
- 6 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-3/4 cups milk - , low fat (1%)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup of canned unsweetened pumpkin - (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dollop of fresh whipped cream
- toasted walnuts
- shaved whole nutmeg
- Combine 6 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons cornstarch in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Combine milk and egg, stirring well with a whisk. Gradually add milk mixture to sugar mixture, stirring constantly, and bring to a boil. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Combine pumpkin, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice and salt in a bowl. Stirring until well incorporated. Slowly add pumpkin mixture to milk mixture, whisking constantly. Place pan over low heat, and cook for 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring constantly (do not boil). Divide pudding evenly among 4 dessert bowls, and cover surface of pudding with plastic wrap to prevent it from forming a skin over the top. Chill until read to serve.
- Top with a dollop of whipped cream, toasted walnuts and fresh nutmeg.
- This recipe comes together fast and is super easy to make - about 10 minutes plus chill time is all you need for this dessert.
- Top with fresh whipped cream and a shaving of fresh nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice. You won't be disappointed.
- To toast walnuts, heat a large frying pan over medium high heat and stir constantly.
- Nuts are done when they start to brown will take 5 minutes or less.
- Watch them closely as they will burn easily.
Follow along on Social Media
This post was last updated on