With school starting back into session a few weeks ago, I am a new busy. With that comes a greater need for quick, tasty dinners that I can get on the table before I head into work for the evening. Our family schedule is already hectic on a normal day but now with school, homework, and extra-curricular activities it is even more so. Thankfully, we have quick and simple dinners like this Sausage and Pasta Skillet that are perfect for when time is in short supply and cooking an intricate meal simply is not an option.
This meal can also be made gluten-free by swapping out the pasta for a gluten-free version and using a gluten-free sausage. My daughter loves spinach so this was perfect for us but you can easily swap out the wilted spinach for any frozen vegetable medley your family enjoys. Then I added just a hint of cheese and a splash of milk to create a light sauce.
Love pasta? Check out these Pasta and Sauce Recipes:
- Spaghetti with Clams and Tomatoes
- Homemade Alfredo Sauce
- One Pot Penne Pasta with Sausage
- Loaded Pasta Carbonara
- 4 ounces regular, whole wheat or gluten-free pasta – any variety
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces cooked smoked sausage,sliced into coins
- 8 ounces fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1/3 cup milk
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a pot of heavily salted water to a boil and cook the pasta until al dente or your desired doneness. Drain and return the noodles to the pot and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium high heat, and fully cook the sausage links. If you are using fully cooked sausage, simply add the sausage and cook until the sausage turns golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer the sausage to the pot of pasta. Return the skillet to the burner and add the spinach or vegetable mix. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Heat the spinach until just wilted otherwise saute the vegetables until tender.
- Pour the noodles and sausage into the hot skillet with the vegetables, followed by the cheese and milk. Bring this to a boil and cook until the milk has thickened slightly.
- Seasoning to taste and serve immediately.
A mix of fresh vegetables can easily be substituted.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg