Dig in and enjoy!
Looking to try some other Summer Recipes:
- Lowcountry Boil
- How to Create an Easy Hot Dog Bar for Summer Entertaining
- Quick Pickled Shrimp
- Shrimp Ceviche Cocktail – Ceviche de Cameron
One-pot Lowcountry Shrimp Perloo is simple to make and rich in flavors and tradition. Shrimp Perloo is a rice dish made with locally grown rice and local, fresh shellfish. Similar to jambalaya and paella, perloo starts with a flavorful base of rice simmered with bell pepper, carrots, garlic, and onion.
- 4 thick-cut bacon slices, chopped (optional)
- 2 andouille sausage links, cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 2 cups sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup diced carrots (about 2 large carrots) [See Note 1]
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 cups vegetable stock [See Note 2]
- 2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 pounds raw medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium, stirring often, until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add onion, carrots [See Note 1], and bell pepper to Dutch oven ; cook, stirring often, until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic, black pepper, and 1 teaspoon of the salt; continue cooking, stirring often, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add wine to deglaze the pan, taking care to scrape any browned bits from bottom of Dutch oven .
- Add crushed red pepper; cook, stirring often, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in stock [See note 2], rice, and butter; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook until rice is just tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in shrimp; cover and let stand until shrimp are cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in remaining salt (in increments) to taste.
- Serve with your favorite hot sauce, crusty bread for mopping up the sauce, and a fresh garden salad.
- Carrots may be replaced with celery.
- Vegetable stock may be replaced with seafood stock, if available, or chicken stock.
Keywords: shrimp, rice, perloo, homemade, from scratch, how to make, what is, recipe, family friendly, easy, local seafood, charleston, southern,