You are going to love this delicious Zucchini Parmesan recipe! It’s quick and easy to prepare and incredibly delicious. Lightly breaded and then baked in the oven, this vegetable parmesan is ready in just 30-minutes! Serve with a side of pasta, a side salad, or steamed vegetables for the perfect Meatless Monday Meal plan.
I cut the zucchini into long planks rather than coins to make them quicker and easier to bread. It also made them easier to stack later on when I added the sauce and cheese.
I baked the planks in the oven until they were golden brown and tender. I then sauced and stacked them and put them back into the oven to melt the cheese.
I served the Zucchini Parmesan stack with a side of pasta and a fresh side salad for the perfect meatless meal. Since my husband does not like eggplant, the zucchini made the perfect replacement.
Do you have a favorite vegetable parmesan? Share it with me, I’d love to hear from you.
Yield 4 servings
- 4 medium zucchini, trimmed and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch planks [See Note 1]
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups Japanese-style panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- Low Fat Cooking spray
- 1 cup marinara sauce, store-bought or homemade
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet and set aside.
- Set up a dredging station: In one shallow dish, beat two eggs with a whisk. In a second shallow dish, add all-purpose flour. In a third shallow dish, combine panko, Italian seasoning blend, salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese.
- Dip eggplant in flour, then egg mixture. Shake off any excess egg wash before dredging in panko mixture, apply gentle pressure in the panko mixture to adhere. Arrange zucchini planks on the prepared rack; lightly coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Bake at 475° for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and top zucchini planks with marinara and mozzarella. Return to the oven and bake for another 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
- Serve with a side of pasta and a garden salad for a full meal.
- I usually cook one zucchini per person so this recipe is easily scaled to fit your needs or dinner party size.
Courses Dinner, Entree, Main meal, Meatless, vegetarian